Sports in brief: Sept. 21, 2011

Chambers ranked second for CFL draft
Wide receiver Shamawd Chambers of the Laurier football team has been ranked second-overall by scouts, behind only offensive lineman Ben Heenan of the Saskatchewan Huskies for the 2012 Canadian Football League draft. Chambers has 12 receptions for 184 yards and one touchdown in two games this year.

Women’s rugby fall to 0-2
Laurier’s women’s rugby team lost their game against the Waterloo Warriors 34-7 on Saturday. Briana Wilson finished the game with a try. They’re next in action on Friday against Trent University in Peterborough.

Men’s rugby bounces back
The Wilfrid Laurier men’s rugby squad knotted their record at 1-1 after a victory over the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 27-7. Jeff Pickel had 10 points and Alexander Wilcox-Bogart, Kenneth Jackson and Jason Hatzes each recorded one try. The Hawks will look to rise above .500 rugby when they play the Guelph Gryphons on Sunday.

Women’s hockey open exhibition schedule at 1-1
The Golden Hawks’ female ice-warriors bounced back from a 10-2 loss against Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pennsylvania with an 8-3 win against the Mississauga Jr. Chiefs. Kristen Kilgallen and Erika Thunder split goaltending duties in both games.

Women’s rugby coaches support Right to Play
Women’s rugby coaches Amy Bambury and Michelle Joslin went shoeless in their game against Waterloo on Saturday as part of the CIS campaign to raise awareness about players who need assistance in accessing proper sporting equipment.

Emily Brown recognized provincially
Rookie striker Emily Brown of the women’s soccer team was declared the OUA’s women’s athlete of the week after scoring a hat-trick against McMaster and notching a single against Brock. Brown has five goals on the yearm tying her for top spot in the OUA.