Sports in brief: Oct. 6

Soccer teams struggle against Windsor

Laurier’s women’s soccer team suffered their first loss of the season on Sunday, falling 1-0 to the Windsor Lancers. The loss brings the Hawks’ record to 7-1-1, keeping them on top of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division standings and third in the national rankings.

The men’s team managed to find the back of the net in their game versus the Lancers, however, it wasn’t enough as they dropped the contest 2-1.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux

Women’s lacrosse keeps rolling

The Golden Hawks women’s lacrosse team improved their record to 6-1 over the weekend with wins over the University of Toronto and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT). Second-year Jory Garibaldi led the way for the Hawks, racking up three goals and four assists in the two games, on her way to Laurier athlete of the week honours.

The team now has five games remaining before the OUA championship tournament which takes place in Guelph the weekend of Oct. 30.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux

WLU baseball season comes to an end

The Laurier men’s baseball team’s season has come to an early end with their last doubleheader being forfeited by the Queen’s Gaels. This brings their regular season record to 6-8.

The forfeited games were a result of the Queen’s department of athletics and recreation suspending the baseball program for an ongoing investigation regarding the players violating the school’s Student-Athlete Guidelines for Behaviour. 

The Hawks miss the post-season this year after claiming the OUA silver medal last year.

–Tieja MacLaughlin

Seven added to Laurier hall of fame

As part of Laurier Homecoming celebration, the Golden Hawks hall of fame welcomed its newest members on Friday night. Rugby player Christine Carruthers, soccer player Jason Lyall joined three football players — Ryan Jeffrey, Ian Logan and Rya Pyear — as the player inductees, while co-founder of Laurier’s 5th quarter club Tom Allen entered as a builder. The 2000 CIS champion men’s soccer team was this year’s team induction.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux

Rugby teams’ woes continue

Laurier’s rugby teams are still looking for their first win of the season, as both the men and the women suffered losses this past weekend. The men’s team fell to McMaster 25-19 in a tightly fought affair on Friday night, while the women’s team was blown-out 112-0 by Guelph on Saturday.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux

Cross-Country teams place high

This past weekend, the Hawks’ cross-country teams took part in the Waterloo open, and finished second overall on the men’s side and third on the women’s.

Individually, Shohaib Ikram was the top male finisher for the Hawks, coming in fifth, while Jennifer Laughton led the way on the women’s side, placing 15th.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux

Women’s softball wins three

Laurier’s defending national champion women’s softball club went 3-1 over the weekend, defeating the Ottawa and the Carleton to keep their hold on second place in the standings with a record of 13-5.

The team has chosen not to travel to the University of Saskatchewan to take part in the national championship and will finish their season this weekend when they take on Windsor and Western.

–Compiled by Justin Fauteux