Sports in brief: Oct. 20

Women’s hockey stars 4-0

The perennial powerhouse that is Laurier’s women’s hockey team has picked up where they left off after last year’s 26-0-1 season. The Hawks have swept their first four games, beating UOIT, Queen’s, York and Toronto, all on the road, to open their season 4-0.

Fifth-year goalie Liz Knox has built on her award-winning Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) player of the year 2009-10 season, only allowing two goals in the four games, posting two shut-outs.

Men’s rugby still winless

On Friday night, the Golden Hawks men’s rugby team suffered their sixth loss of the season, falling 15-7 to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. The loss drops Laurier to 0-6 on the season, putting them in second-last in the Ontario University Ahletics (OUA) standings.

The Hawks’ final two chances to chances to avoid a winless season will come Wednesday versus Waterloo and Saturday against Royal Military College (RMC).

Hawks go 2-1 at UW

Over the weekend, Laurier’s women’s basketball team took part in the 43rd annual Naismith Tournament, hosted by the University of Waterloo. After losing their opening contest 70-58 to the McGill Martlets, the Hawks knocked off the Alberta Pandas 70-57 and the host Warriors 72-34.

Men’s basketball hosts Hawk Challenge

The Concordia Stingers and the Cape Breton Capers came to the Athletic Complex this past weekend to take part in Laurier’s annual pre-season exhibition series, the Hawk Challenge.

The purple and gold split their games, losing 76-72 to the Stingers in their first game and then downing the Capers 115-86.