Sports in brief: Oct. 19, 2011

Men’s Hockey blows three-goal lead

On their recent road trip, Wilfrid Laurier’s men’s hockey team (0-4-0) fell to both the Université du Québec à Trois Rivières and Concordia University by respective scores of 6-2 and 5-4. Concordia came back from a 4-1 deficit in the third period.

Mitch Lebar and James Marsden added to their goal totals to lead the team at two goals apiece.

Men’s rugby falls to 2-4

Laurier’s men’s rugby squad fell to Kingston’s Royal Military College (RMC) on Sunday, 22-5. Laurier’s Kody Ellis led the way for the Hawks with a try.

The Hawks visit the Queen’s Gaels on Friday at 6 p.m and finish the season at McMaster next Saturday at 6 p.m.

Swim team brings home medals

Laurier’s swimmers brought home some hardware at the Guelph OUA Sprint Invitational on Saturday. Team captain Renee Dijk won a silver and a bronze for her individual efforts and the team brought home two relay medals. The squad finished fourth overall.

Golf team positioned third after opening round
The men’s golf squad is in third-place after the first round of the OUA Championship. They sit at 23-over-par 303. Queen’s is in first at 20-over-par 300. James Seymour and Brett Murray both shot five-over-par 75 to lead the Hawks.
The tournament continued on Tuesday with the Hawks in a prime position to move up.
Men’s basketball defeats Mercyhurst College
By a score of 81-70, the Hawks defeated the Mercyhurst Lakers on Saturday to improve their pre-season record to 5-1. Kale Harrison scored 25 points in the win. Laurier hosts Cape Breton Wednesday night at 7 p.m.

Women’s basketball loses three straight
At the Darcy Wright Classic, hosted by the Ryerson Rams, the Hawks lost to the Rams, 66-62, Calgary, 58-55 and McMaster, 63-60. Shelby Kurt and Felicia Mazerolle had big games for Laurier.
The team will fly to Edmonton to face Victoria, Alberta and the University of British Columbia to continue their pre-season.