Sports in brief: Nov. 24, 2010

Women’s basketball splits weekend games

Laurier’s women’s basketball team suffered their first loss of the 2010-11 season over the weekend, falling 63-59 to the York Lions in Toronto on Saturday night. The previous day, the Hawks won their fifth-straight game to open the season, 65-59, on the road over the Laurentian Voyageurs.

Now sitting at a record of 5-1, the Hawks are locked in a four-way tie with Lakehead, Western and Windsor for top spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division.

Men’s basketball moves to 4-2

After playing their first two home games of the season on Nov. 13 and 14, the Golden Hawks men’s basketball team went back on the road this past weekend, travelling to take on the Laurentian Voyagers and the York Lions.

On Friday, the Voyageurs edged the purple and gold 88-87, while the Hawks bounced back on Sunday with a 100-94 win over the Lions. Fourth-year Kale Harrison continued his strong season for the Hawks, leading the way in both games scoring 23 and 26 points.

Women’s hockey keeps rolling

The number-two nationally ranked Laurier women’s hockey team won their fifth and sixth-straight games over the weekend, defeating Queen’s and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) on the road.

In Saturday’s 3-1 win over Queen’s, the Hawks received goals from veteran Katherine Shirriff and rookies Andrea Shapero and Tammy Freiburger, while goalie Liz Knox stopped 27 of 28 shots. On Sunday, ten different Hawks got on the score sheet as the purple and gold flew past UOIT 6-2.

Laurier to host CIS shoot for the cure

This Saturday, the Laurier Athletic Complex will play host to more than just a women’s basketball game between the Golden Hawks and the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

The game will be part of the Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) shoot for the cure initiative and as a result all proceeds from tickets will go to support breast cancer research. The Hawks will also be sporting pink jerseys to raise awareness.

Vanier Cup re-uniting with CFL

Next season, the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship football game will be once again held in conjunction with the CFL’s Grey Cup.

The Vanier Cup will be played on Friday, Nov. 25, followed by the Grey Cup on Sunday, Nov. 27, with both games taking place at Vancouver’s B.C. Place. The two games were last held at the same venue on the same weekend in 2007 at Toronto’s Rogers Centre, with the result being an attendance of 26,787 for the Vanier Cup, the seventh-largest in the game’s history.