Sports in brief: March 10

Hawks honoured by OUA

Last week, two members of the Laurier’s men’s basketball team were named Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division all-stars.

Fifth-year guard Jesse MacDonald was named a second team all-star after a year in which he led the Hawks in both scoring and steals, and topped 1,000 career points.

Meanwhile, first-year wing Max Allin was recognized for his breakout season, being named to the OUA west’s all-rookie team. Allin was the Hawks’ top rebounder this season, pulling down 174, finishing second amongst all OUA rookies.

Curlers head to nationals

This week, both of Laurier’s curling teams will travel to Edmonton to compete in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship.

The women’s team qualified after coming in second in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship. The Hawks will be seeking their third straight CIS title.

The men’s team finished fifth in the OUA, but qualified after a spot in the tournament opened and the third and fourth place teams from Ontario declined to compete.

The Hawks will be without third-year Matt Mapletoft, who is currently in Switzerland representing Canada at the World Junior Curling Championship.

Gordon earns CIS award

After winning two provincial awards last week, Julie Gordon, a rookie on Laurier’s women’s volleyball team, was named to the CIS all-rookie team.

Gordon becomes the first Hawk to make the team since 2004.