Sports in brief: Jan. 27, 2010

Two Hawks on Test the Nation

On Sunday night, Kaley Powers and Vanessa Bennett – two members of Laurier’s women’s hockey team – took part in the CBC program Test the Nation: IQ. Bennett, a fifth-year chemistry major, and Powers, a third-year kinesiology major, were two of the 180 in-studio participants, and were part of the athletes in contact sports team.

Powers and Bennett were two of seven Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) athletes on the team, while the rest of the team was made up of former and current professionals from a variety of sports.

Laurier figure skaters compete in Toronto

Last Thursday and Friday, the Laurier figure skating team competed at the Winter Invitational, hosted by Ryerson University, and finished seventh.

Individually, the top Laurier finishers were Adam Arscott (men’s open skate), Brittany Maksymyk (gold freeskate) and Michelle LaMarche (senior silver freeskate), who all finished fourth in their events.

Women’s volleyball out of playoff contention

After a loss to the Guelph Gryphons on Friday night, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s volleyball team saw their post-season aspirations end.

The Hawks now sit at a record of 4-10 and have only won one game in 2010. Sitting on just eight points with five matches remaining, the Hawks cannot catch the Western Mustangs, the current owners of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) West division’s final post-season spot.

They are 12 points behind and can only earn 10 points in their remaining matches.

Middle distance team continues inaugural season

Over the weekend, the Laurier indoor middle distance track team competed at the 2010 Fred Foote Memorial Track Meet, hosted by the University of Toronto.

Members of the Hawks’ team competed in 200 and 1,500 metre events.

First-year Sohaib Ikram was Laurier’s top finisher, placing fourth in the 1,500 metre event.