Sports in brief: Feb. 10

Women’s hockey continues to dominate OUA

After a pair of road wins over Toronto and York, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s hockey team is three wins away from a perfect season, sitting at a record of 24-0. The Hawks went undefeated in 2001-02, becoming the only team in Laurier hockey history to go a full season without losing.

The weekend also saw a pair of Hawks reach personal milestones as goalie Liz Knox tied a Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) record with her 30th career shut-out and team captain Andrea Ironside tied a Laurier record with her 63rd career assist.

Men’s hockey splits weekend

Having lost three of their last four games, the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ men’s hockey team travelled to Windsor over the weekend to take on the Windsor Lancers in a pair of games.

In the first match-up, the Hawks continued their struggles, falling 2-1 in over-time to the Lancers, who currently sit in third-last in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division.

On Saturday night, the purple and gold bounced back, exploding for a 7-1 win. Hawks’ forward Nathan Peacock notched his first career hat-trick in the win.

Adamczyk hist 1,000 career points in loss

Last week, veteran Renata Adamczyk reached 1,000 career points; however, her Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ women’s basketball team dropped their contests with McMaster and Windsor, adding two defeats to their now four-game losing streak.

Despite their recent struggles, the Hawks can clinch the final playoff spot in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division by winning one more game if it is combined with a loss by the Waterloo Warriors.

Men’s basketball drops two straight

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks’ men’s basketball team saw their record drop to 7-11 last week after losses to McMaster and Windsor.

The Hawks currently sit two points out of the last playoff spot in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) west division with four games left in the regular season.

Rich shines at OUA championships

Laurier swimmer Whitney Rich continued her dominance over the rest of Ontario at the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships last weekend, taking home the gold medal in both the 100-metre breast stroke and the 200-metre individual medley.

The Hawks finished fourth overall on the women’s side and ninth in the men’s competition.

Ikram takes top spot

First-year Sohaib Ikram became the first member of Laurier’s indoor middle distance track team to win an event this season, finishing first in the 1500-metre at last weekend’s meet hosted by York University.

The team will take part in two more meets before competing in the OUA championships later in February.