Sports Brief: Recapping the weeks’ results for Golden Hawk teams

File Photo by Heather Davidson

It was an eventful week for the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks middle distance team.

The team competed at the Sharon Anderson Meet in Toronto on Jan. 14, an event which was important for the Hawks as it was their first meet of 2019.

Third year runner Sydney Pattison was the star of the show for the purple and gold as she finished third in the 1000-metre race, taking home a bronze medal.

Pattison finished the race with a time of two minutes and 58.57 seconds, which was approximately six seconds behind first place and two seconds behind second.

Ali Schouten, Lisa Kerry, Jessica Martin and Sarah Cranmer-Byng each ended the meet finishing inside the top 20 for a multitude of different races, showing off the depth of talent that Laurier has. The next big competition for the Hawks will take place on Jan. 19 as they will look to continue their early 2019 success at the Don Wright Meet in London, Ont.

The Wilfrid Laurier men’s basketball team bounced back from their loss at home to Brock on Jan. 9 with a massive victory against the McMaster Marauders on Jan. 12.

It was the perfect revenge game for the Hawks, as this was a Marauders team that had defeated Laurier on Jan. 4.

The Hawks dominated the first half as they took a 16-point lead into halftime and although the Marauders made a mini-comeback in the third quarter, the Hawks eventually managed to pull away in the fourth quarter winning by a final score of 87-73.

The Hawks record is now 9-5 and they are still ranked as a top 10 team in Canada as of now.

It was a rough week for the women’s basketball team as they continued their slow start to 2019 with two more defeats against Brock and McMaster.

The Hawks started well defensively against the Badgers, but after falling behind in the middle of the game, they just didn’t have enough to climb back, losing by a final score of 59-53.

Things went from bad to worse against McMaster.

The two teams were tied at halftime, but Laurier collapsed in the second half as they got outscored by 16 points to lose by a final score of 59-43.

The team will now look to bounce back against Algoma in a two-game set this weekend.

The Laurier men’s hockey team continued to show inconsistency this past week as they went 1-1 against Western and Ryerson.

It was a great game on Friday for the Hawks against Western as they put on an offensive clinic against the Mustangs.

They managed to score three goals in the first period and never looked back from there, winning convincingly by a final score of 5-1.

Against Ryerson however, the Hawks’ failed to repeat their success in a tough battle.

Laurier jumped out to a 2-0 lead but they unfortunately could not hold on, losing by a final score of 4-3.

Up next for the Hawks is a two-game set against Lakehead this weekend.

In what can be considered as a rebuilding year, the Laurier women’s hockey team added two more losses in what has been another tough season overall.

The Hawks took on the Badgers on Jan. 9 and although they managed to fire up 39 shots, they couldn’t find a way to score, losing a hard fought game by a final score of 1-0.

The Hawks took an early lead in their next game against York University, but unfortunately they couldn’t manage to continue that level of play, as they conceded three to lose by a final score of 3-1.

Up next, the Hawks will look to get back on track versus York and Guelph this weekend.