Sloan rocks Starlight

Sloan took to the stage at Starlight this past Tuesday as part of a small Ontario tour with Toronto band Modern Superstitions.

Modern Superstitions opened the show to a slightly older crowd than Starlight is used to, but managed to win over the audience with their brand of punky, old-school rock. With multiple drunken shouts of “What’s the name of your band?” throughout their set, everybody surely left knowing who this upcoming Toronto group is.

Lead singer Nyssa Rosaleen spoke to The Cord after the set and explained that their E.P. was produced by Sloan’s Patrick Pentland, so the tour hadn’t thrown them into a “completely weird situation”. Influenced by bands like the Rolling Stones, the Strokes and old girl groups, the band has evolved from a country band into a bona fide rock group that has learned to “write songs properly without just ripping other people off.”

Sloan came on to an already warmed-up crowd and played numerous track off their latest release B-Sides Win, catering to diehard fans who have a knowledge of the Halifax band’s more obscure tunes. They really got the crowd going though when they played hits like “Everything You’ve Done Wrong”, “The Other Man” and “Money City Maniacs”.

Bassist and vocalist Chris Murphy hung around after the show to talk with fans, sign autographs and take pictures, where he explained that people come to Sloan shows expecting to hear all the hits. He emphasized, however, that as a band it’s necessary for Sloan to keep producing new material and playing it live to keep themselves creatively stimulated.

Both bands will be playing in Toronto during North by Northeast from June 14 to 20. Modern Superstitions will be playing with the Strange Boys and Sloan will be putting on a free show at Yonge & Dundas square, in the heart of the city.

To see a photo gallery of the concert at Starlight click here.