Settling for Silver

Queen’s goalkeeper Chantel Marson notched a shutout and Melissa Jung recorded the clinching penalty-kick goal as the nationally-ranked No. 4 Queen’s Gaels defeated the No. 5 Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks, 1-0 in penalty kicks in the Ontario University Athletics’ (OUA) women’s soccer gold-medal game between the two rivals Sunday night.

Playing in their second straight OUA championship game, each team held possession for nearly the same amount of time during the match.

Queen’s Kelli Chamberlain sat out her second game of the weekend and Gaels’ leading scorer Jackie Tessier had to be helped off the field mid-game due to a knee injury.

The Hawks’ Heather Malizia had to be removed due to dizziness.

Jessica Carter and Kelsey Tikka had a terrific outing, shadowing the threatening Tessier while she was on the field and Tania Pedron controlled the game in the midfield, dominating any Gael to approach her. Pedron did not substitute once.

The only mistake the Hawks could muster was a missed chance by Alyssa Lagonia in the penalty-kick shootout. Marson guessed right and saved her shot to the left side of the net.

Queen’s Summer Rybicki, Brienna Shaw, Alexis McKinty, and Mikyla Kay all scored on Laurier keeper Mal Woeller and Jung notched the game-winning goal.

Tikka, Pedron, and Becca Isaacs scored for Laurier in the penalty kicks.

Yellow cards were handed out to Gaels’ Tessier and Breanna Burton and Hawks’ Nicole Currie, Krista Cellucci and Carter.

The Hawks now travel to Montreal to compete in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) national championships at McGill University, along with the University of Ottawa and Queen’s from the OUA. Queen’s beat Laurier last year in the championship game, 1-0 in extra time.

For more on this game, read Wednesday’s edition of The Cord.