Rookies lead soccer Hawks over Warriors

Three first-years led the way offensively on Sunday afternoon as the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s soccer team dropped the Waterloo Warriors 3-0 in their first match of the 2010 season.

“Excellent,” said Laurier head coach Mario Halapir when asked about his team’s performance.

“We still have some work to do, but I think as far as our ability to play with the ball I think we’re more skilled than we’ve been in the past six or seven years and that’s really exciting. Definitely an encouraging result today.”

After a scoreless first half, midfielder David Corrazola became the first rookie to get involved putting the Hawks on the board with a strike from outside the 18-yard-box. Fellow first-years Stephen Hay and Sandro Stojakovic would round out the scoring, with Stojakovic’s goal coming on a penalty kick in the game’s closing minutes.

“They did exceptionally well,” said Halapir of his first-players. “We have had some injuries and that’s not necessarily the 11 [projected starters]. We’re missing a few key guys, but the players who played today did an excellent job.”

Among the Hawks who missed the game due to injury were fifth-year Zach Faubert-Tetreault and three-time Ontario University Athletics (OUA) all-star Matt Smith.

“We are still missing a few important players and some of the players who played today are still nursing injuries,” said Halapir. “Once we get everyone healthy, it will really make a difference.”

The purple and gold’s next contest will come Saturday afternoon in Hamilton when they visit the McMaster Marauders.