Rich History at the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum

As the “largest community museum in Ontario”, the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum is host to much of KW Region’s rich history. Admission to the museum ($11 for adults, $8 for students and $5 for children) includes access to the 60-acre “living history experience” Doon Heritage Village.  

With one main exhibit – The Waterloo Region Hall of Fame – guests of all ages can learn about the Kitchener-Waterloo Region’s past and how the region could potentially be growing in the future. Key to the exhibit is the steam engine from the Kaufman Rubber Factory (affectionately nicknamed ‘Hazel’). My personal favourite item in the collection is a “vintage” Zellers shopping cart – truly a Canadian business that left too soon.  

Young guests will enjoy the interactive aspects of the hall of fame, such as a small window that allows you to view yourself in a gas mask. The exhibit also allows a spot for input – guests being tasked with writing down how they say hello in their language onto a sticky note to share. 

The museum also hosts travelling exhibits in its feature gallery – while closed right now, the museum’s website states that more information will be coming soon regarding the next feature exhibit.  

After exploring the museum, guests can go outside and explore Doon Heritage Village – a staple of the property. Resembling a village from 1914, there is a collection of historic buildings from a classic white church to a general goods store.  

In addition, parents will be happy to learn that there are summer day camps available for children in the village. With two camps (one for ages 7-9 and one for ages 10-12), the camp takes place in period costume and immerses children in the year 1914. Currently, there is still space for campers in the first few weeks of August. Providing an immersive and educational experience, the camp is a great opportunity.   

A gem in the KW Region, the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum provides an educational experience for young and old visitors alike. Looking to become a member? Paying $35 dollars for a single membership or $60 dollars for a family membership allows the owner to have an “unlimited admission to all Region of Waterloo owned and operated museums for the whole year”. This includes the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum alongside Doon Heritage Village, Schneider Haus and McDougall Cottage – all located in the region.  

The arts are a critical part of our community and with museums like this, the region’s unique history and role in Southern Ontario’s history can be preserved accurately and fully for all to enjoy.  

With any luck, the Ken Seiling Waterloo Region Museum will be around for centuries more – providing new knowledge and cultural insights to all who walk through its doors.