Reflecting on the successes of Orientation Week 2018

Photo by Manraj Rai

Wilfrid Laurier University’s 2018 Orientation Week and Shinerama festivities were a raging success, as Laurier’s Waterloo campus greeted incoming first-years and welcomed back returning upper-years with a fair, carnival and performances by many talented guests.

Additionally, the Shinerama campaign raised money and awareness for cystic fibrosis with a barbecue and car wash.

O-Week, beginning with opening ceremonies on both first-year move-in days, is traditionally packed with various interactive events that allow for incoming students to feel welcomed by their Laurier community.

Among such events are those a part of Shinerama, a long-standing Laurier fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis research.

Shinerama originated at Laurier’s Waterloo campus in 1961. Back then, they were raising money for cystic fibrosis research by shining shoes.

Looking back on this year’s event is a true representation of how large the fundraiser has become, with the prospect of continuing success in years to come looking optimistic.   

Adriana Marich, this year’s Shinerama Coordinator, and third-year Shinerama committee member discussed the extent of their success with pride.

“Some of the major things we always do is barbecues and food-type events,” Marich said. “This year we did walking tacos to mix it up … we were also selling baked goods, as well as selling things that were kind of necessary at the time. So [for example], at the O-Week concert we were selling bottled water and candy.”

“All together we raised $110,272.68,” Marich said.

A-Team Laurier hosted hip-hop recording artist Nav who performed for Laurier students on Tuesday night, O-Week carnival took place on Wednesday and Laurier’s headphone disco had a great turn-out at the quad on Thursday.

“Not only do I think that [success] is measured by the amount of money we raised, but how the volunteers feel at the end of the week and the experiences they’ve had.”

This amount represents what was raised at the Waterloo campus apart from the Brantford campus, which held a Shinerama — that runs separately.

Last year comparatively, Shinerama raised over $126,000 with nearly 56 per cent of that total being raised on Shine Day alone.

Shinerama’s largest event is always Shine Day, which took place on the final day of O-Week, involved students going into the community to participate in car washes.

Shinerama’s Shine Time on Wednesday invited guest speakers to talk about Shinerama, the significance it has at Laurier and how they have been affected individually by Cystic Fibrosis, inspiring students to support the cause.

“When [the] speakers came, I felt tremendous success just by students being inspired,” Marich added.

First-years who participated in O-Week were placed into four teams that followed the theme, ‘where your legend begins.’

The Gold Astros, Blue Chargers, Green Guardians and Red Riddlers all fought for the title of champions.

While all teams were beaming with enthusiasm and spirit, the title was awarded to the Gold Astros during closing ceremonies.

The Students’ Union introduced Drake night this year, inciting excitement and an OVO-themed atmosphere and fandom as students danced to their favourite sounds from the 6ix.