Rating the best Golden Hawk performers of 2015-16

Biggest Surprise: Eric Morelli

Eric Morelli showed a strong ability to run the offence and move the sticks with his arm this year. Morelli threw for 1,143 yards, 12 touchdowns and only three interceptions over 154 attempts in the 2015 season. He stepped up big in clutch situations and revitalized the Golden Hawks’ passing game. The second-year quarterback still has time to grow and raise his handle on the offence, but he took strides in the right direction.

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang

Unsung Hero: Richard Krell

Krell shot the lights out at the CIS national championship, helping the men’s curling rink capture their second CIS gold medal in team history. Throwing vice stones, Krell played a crucial part in making the final step up the podium, shooting 93 per cent in the final against Alberta and nominated as a CIS second-team all-Canadian.

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang

Coach of the Year: Peter Campbell

His team may not have made it very far, but in his final campaign, Peter Campbell made his team work hard and enjoy every minute of it. Campbell made unbreakable connections with his players over his tenure, speaking volumes to these individuals’ character.Campbell led his final men’s basketball team to the playoffs where they fell to the Brock Badgers. Campbell will go out as one of the best coaches to touch the Laurier court.

Photo by Heather Davidson
Photo by Andreas Patsiaouros

Rookie of the Year: Ashley Almeida

After losing Katrina Ward and Maggie Carmichael in two consecutive years, the women’s soccer team was looking for a locked-in goalkeeper. Ashley Almeida produced an outstanding rookie campaign, leading the Hawks to an upset over the Ottawa Gee-Gees in the OUA semifinal. In her first national championship, Almeida had a great showing and will continue to be an asset for the rest of her tenure with the Hawks.

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang

Team of the Year: Mens Curling

After going undefeated and sweeping the Ontario University Athletics provincial championship and winning gold, the rink flew to nationals in search of the missing piece of hardware from their collection — the CIS gold medal. Finishing in second place after the round robin, the team won a thrilling match against the Alberta Golden Bears to capture gold.

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang

Best Fifth-Year Player: Will Coulthard

After a tumultous career, standout Will Coulthard goes into the Laurier record books for multiple accolades. Coulthard led the Hawks to a strong showing and was consistently their lead scorer. He eclipsed 1,500 points in his career, the third Laurier player to do so. Coulthard graduates with 1,594 points overall and 147 steals, most all-time in Laurier history.

Photo by Will Huang
Photo by Andreas Patsiaouros

Most Valuable Player: Aaron Squires

After five years, Aaron Squires of the men’s curling rink finished his journey by capturing the CIS gold medal at the curling championships. Shooting 89 per cent against a tough Alberta Golden Bears squad, Squires finished his goal by adding another accolade to his collection. Squires was also honoured as a first-team all-Canadian for the third straight year.

photo by Will Huang
Photo by Will Huang