Radio Laurier’s changing image

After being cut off from Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union funding at the end of April, the new Radio Laurier will launch on Jan.8, 2010.

One of the most important pieces of information to focus on in the station’s relaunch is the “new.”
In light of Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications (WLUSP) taking ownership over Radio Laurier, after the students’ union announced they were cutting the campus radio station this past December, the student-run radio station is undergoing a complete makeover.

“In previous years, Radio Laurier didn’t have a very broad scope and didn’t reach across campus to the entire student body,” said Mike Brown, interim station manager of Radio Laurier. “With the new Radio Laurier, students can expect a much higher calibre radio station.”

Specifically, Brown wants to put more effort into encouraging professionalism by investing in Radio Laurier’s volunteers, primarily by having volunteers attend training sessions and conferences.

One of the changes to immediately look forward to at Radio Laurier is the expansion of broadcasting hours to 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

In addition to this, the campus radio station intends to have a higher level of involvement, both on campus and within the community.

For instance, the station is now hosting Maxwell Mondays, an event taking place every Monday night at Maxwell’s Music House.

Radio Laurier plans to feature a live-to-air show from this intimate venue with station volunteer and Laurier student Jason Tissera, known as DJ Lanka One, spinning a wide range of music from Top 40 to reggae and hip-hop.

The event is 19-plus and free to all Laurier students who bring their OneCard; it does not exclude non-Laurier students, who can attend the event for a $5 cover fee.

“Because we don’t launch until January, we still wanted a presence on campus to brand the station during the fall semester,” said Brown.

Paul Maxwell, owner of Maxwell’s Music House and recent graduate of Wilfrid Laurier University, explains that Maxwell Mondays is the perfect place to go on a Monday night.

“When I was a student of Laurier, I always wanted a great relaxed place close to campus to go to; that’s why when I graduated I opened up this place,” said Maxwell.

“For those who wish to steer away from the massively crowded club scene, Maxwell Mondays offer a cozy alternative; a more relaxed environment that’s comfortable for a Monday night.”

Maxwell commented on his new partnership with the new Radio Laurier, stating that he is glad to see that a campus club wanted to work with an alumnus.

“Radio Laurier is reinventing themselves; this collaboration is a great way for them to gain higher visibility on and off campus,” he explained.

In addition to Maxwell Mondays, Radio Laurier is sponsoring a monthly concert series called “Radio Laurier Presents: At Maxwell’s Music House.”

The first concert is set to take place on Sept. 30 with Canadian singer Pat Robitaille. These concerts will give students the opportunity to see up-and-coming Canadian artists at a local venue.
Some long-term visions for Radio Laurier are to broadcast varsity sports games and eventually get a space on the FM dial.

Since Radio Laurier has moved out of the concourse and will be relocating to the WLUSP office in the near future, another long-term vision is to accumulate a larger office space.

Despite changes to the station, one thing remains constant – Radio Laurier’s mandate to maintain quality programming and to be as much of a staple on campus as possible.