Police search for prowler; no suspects at the moment

This man was seen looking into windows of residences in the Noecker Street area. (Photo courtesy of Waterloo Regional Police Service)

Waterloo regional police are looking for public assistance in identifying a man that has been spotted looking through windows of residences on Noecker Street.

There have been six incidents since September, with five of these occurring between December 2012 and January 2013.

The man, estimated to be 30 to 40 years in age, is described as approximately six feet tall with a muscular build, bald or shaved head and possibly having tanned skin.  Police do not have a suspect at this time.

Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) public affairs coordinator Olaf Heinzel explained, “Once we had that image available, we put that out because we’re hoping someone in the public might recognize him or have some information about him as to who he is and that would be helpful for the investigators at this point.”

The prowler has been seen looking into the windows of houses in that area. Heinzel confirmed that the photo was taken on Noecker St. but could not identify the source of the photo.

“The focus has been in the Noecker Street area, but we don’t know if there have been other incidences that have not been reported either,” he said. “We’re trying to keep it fairly broad.”

Heinzel had several suggestions for precautions residents can take to protect themselves against trespassers.

“We’re asking them to contact police if they see any suspicious activity at any time, so to be vigilant of their surroundings at all times if they’re out walking, but if they’re in their homes and they see anyone trespassing on their property or anyone is seen where they’re not supposed to be, we would urge them to call 911 right away,” he asserted.

Heinzel also highlighted ensuring doors and windows are secure, as well as having exterior security lighting, for protection measures.

“Sometimes when people are trespassing they don’t want to be seen, obviously, so a well-lit area is an area they might more likely avoid than an area that is very dark and has a lot of bushes to hide behind,” he said.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact North Division at 519-650-8500 x6399 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.