Pattison medals at provincials, as Laurie prepares for the international stage

At last weekend’s OUA Championships in Toronto, the Laurier Golden Hawks indoor distance team performed well, however the weekend performance’s were headlined by veteran runner Sydney Pattison.

Having already enriched her name in the Laurier history books last year, becoming the first ever Golden Hawk to bring home a medal at a provincial championship, Pattison continued to make her mark this year.

After finishing third and winning bronze in the 1500m race last year, Pattison picked up major ground in the final couple of laps this year, to move into second place and win the silver medal for Laurier.

Not only has a silver medal, never been won by a Golden Hawk student-athlete, but the silver will also qualify Pattison for the USPORTS Championships in Edmonton that will take place over the next several days.

The time of four minutes and 27.4 seconds was good enough for second place and Pattison’s second medal of the tournament.

She also was able to win bronze on the first day of the competition, racing in the 1000m race.

Pattison who won the Outstanding Women of Laurier award last year  and numerous MVP awards, as well as All-Star accolades and was named Laurier female athlete of the week for her fifth time as a part of the school.

The fourth-year runner from Rockwood, Ontario, Pattison continues to break records for Laurier and will look to perform well on the national stage with the National Championships beginning on March 5th.

From one great runner in Sydney Pattison to another Laurier All-Star runner in Lizzy Laurie.

In what is a remarkable accomplishment for the fourth-year runner, Lizzy Laurie, she has been named to Team Canada’s team for the 2020 FISU World University Cross County Championships that are taking place in Morocco.

After being named a USPORTS All-star and making Laurier history in the fall for the Golden Hawks cross-country team, Laurier has been rewarded with the opportunity to represent Team Canada with 12 other University runners.

Laurie’s finish in the USPORTS Cross Country Championships that took place last November made her eligible for selection with Team Canada.

In the eight-kilometer race, Laurie was able to finish with a time of 29 minutes and 0.8 seconds, which was good enough for a top fifteen finish in the country.

Just like Pattison, Laurie has won her fair share of awards with the Golden Hawks in her four years here and is looking forward to the opportunity on the international stage.

While she will represent Canada, Laurie is expected to participate in the 10km route, which will be the longest race of her four-year career.

She is looking forward to the great opportunity ahead and the challenge that the weekend will present.

The 2020 FISU World University Cross Country Championships begin on Saturday, March 7th at 5:30 A.M. in Marrakech, Morocco.

Laurie will arrive with Team Canada and partake in the opening ceremonies, that will start on Fri. Mar. 6th.

Saturday is sure to be a big day as Laurie will look to make her mark on the international stage, becoming the next great Golden Hawk student-athlete to represent Canada at the FISU events.

Pattison and Laurie continue to make history for the Laurier Golden Hawks.

Both of them will be participating on the national or international  stage this upcoming weekend, looking to earn more individual accolades as their time with Laurier nears it’s ending.