Overcoming complacency during the school year to find success

Photo by Luke Sarazin

I think I’m about to piss off Lemony Snicket because I’m sort of stealing his bit, but I don’t think you should be reading this article. There are better things you could be doing with your time as this is the first published piece of opinion writing I’ve ever attempted.

Honestly, it’s probably going to be rough and there are certainly better things you could be reading in this paper by more experienced contributors to The Cord. But I’m going to give it a go anyway, because everyone needs to start somewhere.

Sitting down to write something that’s about to be read by my peers is daunting and thinking of the potential eyes that could come across this piece adds weight to every word I type. But I realize in certain situations everyone has that voice in their head telling them they aren’t good enough – to some that voice is a whisper that can be easily ignored.

To others though, the voice has a megaphone and stands on a stage built from insecurities and doubt.

The trick to ripping the rug out from under that pessimistic little bastards’ feet is to just keep moving no matter what it says and don’t stop until you end up in a place with a new perspective.

No matter what that pesky voice says, I’m not going to miss out on opportunities. No more procrastinating, no more Netflix binges and no more looking happily forward to the moment I get to go home and de-stress, sans-denim.

With practice, it’s possible to overcome this insecurity and right now is the perfect time to tackle it.

It’s still early in the new school year and the next seven months are a blank canvas rife with new potential opportunities, experiences and friendships. For me though, it’s not long before I look up and suddenly realize that the fresh start has disappeared.

Seemingly out of nowhere, I’m smack dab in the middle of November, I’m neck deep in a pile of assignments I haven’t even started and the only time I’ve spent on campus was in the back of classrooms counting down the seconds until I could get home to finally peel off these uncomfortable jeans.

I blame the insecure little voice for getting me into this situation year after year. When I’m taking naps between classes or watching Netflix, the voice is satisfied. It has nothing to complain about, because I’m not taking any risks, and nothing could possibly go wrong. But recently I’ve discovered that when the voice is quiet, it may be a sign that I’m not growing as a person.

That’s why this year I’ve decided to do something that I’ve always wanted to do while in school: get involved.

I’m going to use this fresh start to get involved in activities that I’ve always wanted to try. The little voice doesn’t like it, but honestly, I don’t like the little voice, so it can go fuck itself.

So, here it is. Despite my numerous doubts and worries, I’ve written an article for The Cord. Sometimes all it takes to accomplish a goal is to take the steps forward no matter what insecurities brew inside you.

Which is exactly what I did, because let’s be honest, this was definitely a learning experience. That’s okay though. With a little more experience under my belt, I’ll grow and be a better writer next time.

All in spite of that little voice.