OUA announces the cancellation of sports programming for the fall term

Ontario University Athletics (OUA) has announced that all OUA-sanctioned sports programming and championships will be cancelled for the first semester, in response to COVID-19. 

This cancellation will be in effect up until Dec. 31. OUA will be monitoring the unfolding health situation to determine a timeframe for delivering sports programming again when able to do so.

“It was after conversations with our medical advisors, as well as extensive contingency planning with the Board of Directors, member institutions, and colleagues across the country, that it became increasingly eviden­­t that a safe return to play for the first term was not realistic,” reads the statement on OUA’s website. 

OUA has also stated that two-term sports, such as hockey, basketball and swimming will have options for condensed seasons, once a safe return to programming is viable. 

U SPORTS, the brand for university sports across Canada, has also announced that all national championships for the first term will be cancelled. 

“The decision comes as a result of the on-going uncertainties with student-athlete health and safety, travel and public health restrictions that affect parts of the country and different curriculum delivery models being proposed on the campus of its 56 member universities,” reads the statement from U SPORTS. 

More updates to come.