The Opinion Editor must be diligent in fact checking, be knowledgeable of a range of current events and be able to understand and argue opinions that are different from their own. Candidates for this position must:
- Write Unsigneds when applicable;
- Ensure an editor is writing the editorial weekly, or if no one covers it write it themselves;
- Assist in recruiting and training volunteers;
- Contribute a minimum of one editorial per year;
- Contribute one feature per semester;
- Develop content ideas for the section and submit them to the Editor-in-Chief on deadline unless otherwise negotiated;
- Place visual requests for any columns in a proper timely fashion;
- Provide feedback weekly to volunteers;
- Either write or find alternative contributions for columns if columnists are unavailable;
- Receive stories from columnists, edit them structure, content and CP Style;
- Dedicate equal time to planning and executing web-exclusive content and visuals;
- When using social media in regards to The Cord or WLUSP, the editor is expected to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner;
- Attend Editorial Board Meetings once a week.
Applicants are expected to provide two (2) sample pieces of writing that are preferably related to their section.