Nov. 18, 2009

/

5 years: Laurier archaeologist wins cyberlibel case

A prehistoric archaeologist associated with Wilfrid Laurier University was awarded $125,000 in damages in one of Canada’s first “cyberlibel” cases. It was reported that a Canadian man had circulated a defamatory e-mail about the archaeologist, including that he was a grave robber.

Printed Nov. 17, 2004

25 years: WLUSU adopts ‘peanuts’ slogan

“Nuts to underfunding” became the official slogan for the Wilfrid Laurier University’s protest against a lack of funding for post-secondary institutes in the province. The university held both a rally in the Concourse as well as a “study-in” which was intended to symbolize the desire students have for accessible, quality education. Students were asked to donate change for a small package of peanuts and any money generated from the sales were to be sent to Bette Stephenson, minister of colleges and universities.

Printed Nov. 15, 1984

50 years: Engineers defeat arts students in football game

In the annual football game between the faculty of engineering and faculty of arts, the engineers proved victorious, winning the game by a score of 14-1. The engineers used fakes to baffle their opponents and sneak through with the ball.

Printed Nov. 20, 1959

Serving the Waterloo campus, The Cord seeks to provide students with relevant, up to date stories. We’re always interested in having more volunteer writers, photographers and graphic designers.