Nov. 10, 2010

DRUGS

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 2:06 a.m.

A special constable attended a residence after receiving a report from residence staff of the odour of freshly cut marijuana in the basement lounge. Four male residents were spoken to and initially denied any involvement. A grinder with marijuana residue was seized. Residence staff will be imposing sanctions.

GRAFFITI

Location: 202 Regina

Reported: Nov. 01, 2010 @ 10:18 a.m.

While on routine patrol a special constable noticed graffiti on the receiving door at 202 Regina. White spray paint had been used but the graffiti was illegible. PP&P were contacted to remove the paint. There is no video surveillance of this area and there are no suspects.

UNKNOWN CALL REQUIRING POLICE ASSISTANCE

Location: Peters Building

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 7:46 a.m.

A special constable responded to the 2nd floor of the Peters Building after receiving a report from staff that some suspicious letters were found outside the office door. The content of the letter was not threatening in any way and appears to have been part of a Halloween scavenger hunt conducted by one of the fraternities. No further action was required.

BREAK & ENTER

Location: Nichols Centre

Reported: Nov. 01, 2010 @ 10:33 a.m.

A special constable investigated a report of an attempted break & enter to one of the WLUSU offices in the Nichols Centre. The window screen had been removed and items on the window sill were found on the floor. The window is on the 3rd floor but is accessible from the Nichols Centre expansion currently under construction. The occupant of the office advised that he had left the window open over the weekend. As the window is the type that swings out from the bottom no entry was gained and nothing was reported missing. There is no video coverage of this particular area and there are no suspects.

ASSIST OTHER SERVICE

Location: Athletic Complex

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 7:13 p.m.

Waterloo Regional Police called and requested Special Constable Service check the payphones at the Athletic Complex as they had been receiving 911 hang up calls from that location. A check of the area was made and no one was found in the vicinity of the payphones and staff had not observed anyone using the phones. Video surveillance footage was reviewed and an unattended child 3-5 years of age was observed playing with the phones at the approximate time of the 911 calls. Regional Police were advised. No further action required.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Alumni Field

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 7:34 p.m.

A special constable and ERT attended to an injured male on Alumni Field. The student twisted his ankle while playing soccer. He declined any further medical attention and was transported back to his residence.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Alumni Field

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:54 p.m.

A special constable and ERT attended to another male student who injured his shoulder while playing soccer on Alumni Field. The student was transported to hospital by one of the event co-ordinators.

ASSAULT

Location: Peters Building

Reported: Nov. 1, 2010 @ 9:20 p.m.

A male and female student attended at the Special Constable Dispatch Centre to report that they had been assaulted outside the Peters Building between 2:30 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. on Sun Oct. 31, 2010.

THEFT UNDER $5000

Location: WLU Bookstore

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 10:43 a.m.

A special constable was conducting a walkthrough of the bookstore in response to receiving a report the previous day from staff that they had been finding empty packaging on some of the shelves. During the walkthrough the special constable found an empty package for a USB on a shelf. Video footage was reviewed but did not reveal anything useful. There are no suspects.

UNWANTED PERSON

Location: Library

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 1:00 p.m.

Special constables attended at the Library circulation desk after receiving a report from a staff member regarding a male non student known to her. The male had been visiting the staff member at the library and apparently making advances towards her. The complainant has told the male on several occasions that she was not interested but he continued to visit. The male was spoken to by special constables and warned about his conduct. He indicated that he understood and left campus. No further action taken at this time.

ALARM

Location: Bricker Academic Building

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 5:56 p.m.

A special constable and Waterloo Fire Department responded to a room on the 1st floor of the Bricker Academic Building after receiving a report of a natural gas odour. The fire alarm was activated and the building evacuated. No readings could be detected by the fire department of PP&P but it was learned that there was an odour of gas on the roof of the building which may have entered the building through the ventilation system. PP&P are looking into the problem.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Alumni Field

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 8:41 p.m.

Special constables and ERT responded to a report of an injured student on Alumni Field. The student injured his shoulder while playing soccer. He was taken to hospital by a friend.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 10:42 p.m.

Special constables and ERT attended at a Residence in response to a report of a resident who was feeling unwell. The student had been on some medication which may have been having an adverse affect. ERT checked her vital signs and all appeared normal. She was instructed to return to Health Services in the morning to discuss the medication she was on.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 3, 2010 @ 12:07 a.m.

A special constable and ERT attended at a residence regarding a resident student who was experiencing severe abdominal pain. She was subsequently transported to hospital.

DRIVING COMPLAINT

Location: Mid Campus Dr

Reported: Nov. 3, 2010 @ 11:40 a.m.

A special constable observed a scooter travelling at excessive speed on Mid Campus Dr. There were numerous students in the area at the time. The driver was spoken to and warned about his driving.

UNWANTED PERSON

Location: Special Constable Dispatch Centre

Reported: Nov. 3, 2010 @ 9:35 p.m.

A non WLU male was evicted from campus after he made requests to study in the buildings. The male was found to be a homeless person with a criminal record for violence and other offences.

INTOXICATED PERSON

Location: 232 King

Reported: Nov. 4, 2010 @ 2:32 a.m.

Special constables responded to a report of an intoxicated female lying on the driveway on the north side of 232 King. The female was a patron of Phil’s Grandson’s bar next door. She was subsequently dealt with by Waterloo Regional Police and transported by them to her residence.

ASSIST OTHER SERVICE

Location: University Ave W

Reported: Nov. 4, 2010 @ 2:50 a.m.

Special Constable Service notified Regional Police of a possible impaired driver travelling westbound on University Ave from King St. The suspect vehicle was followed by a special constable while updating Regional Police on the location and direction of the vehicle.

THEFT UNDER $5,000

Location: 209 Regina

Reported: Nov. 4, 2010 @ 10:10 a.m.

Special Constable Service received a report of a laptop stolen from a resident at 209 Regina. There are no suspects at the present time. Investigation is continuing.

DRUGS

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 2, 2010 @ 2:02 p.m.

A special constable attended at a residence to investigate the possible abuse of prescription drugs by a resident. The matter is still under investigation.

INTOXICATED PERSON

Location: 232 King St. N.

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 8:45 a.m.

SCS officers had noticed a young male staggering across King St. towards campus. They caught up to him in parking lot #3 and learned that he was a 1st year 19 year old W.L.U. student extremely intoxicated. He was taken to his residence in order to sleep off the effects of the alcohol.

THEFT UNDER

Location: Science Building

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 11:13 a.m.

SCS is investigating the theft of a wallet containing an undisclosed amount of cash and personal identification. The theft took place inside one of the laboratories on the third floor when the class was in session. The wallet was removed from a purse.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 5:27 p.m.

An 18 year old female student was injured as a result of a fall. She had been carrying a load of laundry down a short flight of stairs when she tripped and fell. She sustained an injury to her left hand. She was treated by ERT and taken to GRH by a friend in order to have x-rays taken.

DANGEROUS CONDITION

Location: University Stadium

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 5:41 p.m.

A report was received about a piece of metal hanging loose and swaying in the wind at the top of one of the light standards on the football field. SCS attended and discovered that the metal cowling on one of the flood lights had come partially loose and was dangling precariously. Physical Resources was contacted to make the appropriate repairs.

SUSPICIOUS PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 9:46 a.m.

A report was received about a possible intoxicated male person hanging around between two student residences. He was gone upon SCS arrival.

UNWANTED PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 11:27 p.m.

SCS officers were called to one of the student residences in response to a report of a male person having an open container of alcohol and drinking in the hallway. He had been identified as a student but not living in that residence. He was gone upon SCS arrival.

PROPERTY DAMAGE

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 5, 2010 @ 11:52 p.m.

SCS officers attended to the student residence in response to several youths on the roof of the building that were seen kicking out a window. They were gone upon SCS arrival.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Parking Lot #3A

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:04 a.m.

SCS officers attended to a report of an emergency telephone pole having been activated. They discovered that two passersby had witnessed a female stumbling and fallen. Alcohol was not a contributing factor and she did not require any medical attention.

INTOXICATED PERSON

Location: Parking Lot #19

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:19 a.m.

SCS officers dealt with an intoxicated 18 year male student that had passed out in the parking lot. Due to his high level of intoxication he was taken to GRH by EMS for treatment and observation.

ASSAULT

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:18 a.m.

SCs officers attended to the student residence in response to a disturbance and a report of an injured person. Through their investigation it was determined that a consensual fight had taken place between two male persons. A third party had intervened and kicked one of the combatants in the head while he was on the ground. The 18 year old male student sustained minor head injuries. Another 18 year old male student was arrested and charged with Assault level 1.

INJURED/SICK PERSON

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:29 a.m.

An 18 year old female student from U. of W. Suffering from an asthma attack was treated by members from ERT. Due to her condition she was taken to GRH by EMS for treatment and observation.

LIQUOR OFFENCE

Location: F.N.C.C. – Wilf’s Pub

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 4:15 a.m.

An 18 year old female guest attempted to enter the on campus pub by producing fraudulent identification. She was refused entry and SCS officers attended. She was issued a Provincial Offence Notice under the Liquor Licence Act, trespassed from the property and sent on her way.

INJURED/Sick Person

Location: Residence

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:54 p.m.

An 18 year old male student sustained a deep cut to one of fingers when a drinking glass exploded while he was doing dishes. He was treated by ERT and driven to G.R.H. by a friend for further treatment and possible stitches.

THEFT UNDER

Location: The Laurier Bookstore

Reported: Nov. 6, 2010 @ 1:47 p.m.

SCS is investigating the theft of merchandise totalling several hundred dollars. Empty packaging had been discovered on one of the shelves by a store employee. The entire theft has been captured on CCTV surveillance cameras.

UNWANTED PERSON

Location: F.N.C.C. – Terrace Food Court

Reported: Nov. 7:17 p.m.

SCS received a report of an elderly unwanted person wandering throughout the premises acting rather peculiar. SCS officers responded and located the individual. He was known to management and staff and permitted to be on the premises. No further action required.

ALARM

Location: Willison Hall

Reported: Nov. 7, 2010 @ 3:39 a.m.

SCS officers and members from the Waterloo Fire Dept. attended to the student residence in response to an activated fire alarm. It was discovered that the cause of the alarm was from some burning food on a stove. There was no fire nor any damage to report.

THEFT UNDER

Location: F.N.C.C. – Terrace Food Court

Reported: Nov. 7, 2010 @ 1:11 a.m.

SCS is investigating a report of the theft of a pair of head phones. The complainant had been seated in the food court and had briefly gone outside to answer a message on his cell phone. He had left the head phones on his chair. When he returned moments later person(s) unknown had taken the item.

DISTURBANCE

Location: F.N.C.C. – Turret Night Club

Reported: Nov. 7, 2010 @ 12:15 a.m.

SCS officers attended to the Turret in response to a disturbance at the rear of the premises. A number of males had been involved in a fight prior to SCS arrival. No one came forward to complain about any assaults. One male was arrested for public intoxication and released into the care of a sober friend. Another male party was transported to GRH by SCS for a minor head injury. The matter is under investigation.

THEFT UNDER

Location: Library

Reported: Nov. 7, 2010 @ 1:00 p.m.

SCS is investigating the theft of a cell phone from the library. The owner had inadvertently left it at her work station while she temporarily went up to another floor. When she returned she discovered that it had been taken by person(s) unknown.