News in brief: Oct. 20, 2010

Land for Milton campus secured

The town of Milton finalized a land-swap agreement last week with Mattamy Homes in order to gain possession of 150 acres outside of town, the proposed site of the Milton Education Village, which would include a satellite campus of Wilfrid Laurier University.

The university is still in the process of securing provincial funding that would allow the development of the site; though securing the land is seen as beneficial for the university’s funding proposal.

There has been a memorandum of understanding between the university and Milton since 2008 that a campus would be developed in the area if criteria such as land are met.

Hundert accepts bail, claims he was threatened

Laurier alumus Alex Hundert and alleged G20 protest organizer, who has been detained since September on charges stemming from his participation in a panel at Ryerson University that violated his bail conditions, accepted new bail conditions last Wednesday evening.

He had initially refused the new bail conditions due to their severity but his family has alleged that he was threatened with solitary confinement if he did not accept the conditions and then released from jail in the middle of the night.

The conditions stipulate that he not speak with media, nor plan, participate in, or attending any public event that expresses views on a political issue.