News in Brief: May 18, 2011

Laurier appoints deans for social work, graduate and postdoctoral studies

Wilfrid Laurier University has appointed Nick Coady as the dean of the faculty of social work and re-appointed Joan Norris to her second term as dean of the faculty of graduate and postdoctoral studies.

As a result of Norris’ working during her first term, the faculty had a 30 per cent increase in graduate enrolments.

Since joining Laurier in 1994 as an associate professor, Coady has served two terms as an associate dean of the master of social work program and two terms as associate dean for the faculty of graduate and postdoctoral studies.

Coady will be begin his five-year term on July 1 and Norris will begin her second term in January 2012 after a research sabbatical.

–Complied by Justin Smirlies

Kielburgers, Raffi, Dallaire to get honourary degrees

Thirteen people, including co-founders of Free the Children Craig and Marc Kielburger, will be receiving honourary degrees from Wilfrid Laurier University.

As well, General Romeo Dallaire will be receiving a degree because of his account of the 1994 Rwandan genocide and his activism in the rehabilitation of child soldiers.

Also on the list is children’s advocate and musician, Raffi Cavoukian.

Remembered greatly for his songs “Baby Beluga” and “Bananaphone,” Raffi will receive a degree because of his education and his advocacy for children’s needs.

Nine convocation ceremonies will be held the week of June 6-10 at the Waterloo campus, whereas the other three will take part at the Brantford campus June 21-22.

–Complied by Justin Smirlies