News in brief: March 23, 2011

Brantford dean of students (finally) named

After an exhaustive search and one potential hire falling through several months ago, a dean of students has been appointed for the Brantford campus. Becca Carroll has fifteen years of experience working with university students and has been the assistant director of leadership, learning and programs at the University of Western Ontario.

Opened in 1999, the Brantford campus now has over 2,300 students and 39 buildings in downtown Brantford. The position was initially slated to be filled by Sept. 2010.

OneCard Rewards return

The OneCard Rewards system that allowed students to accumulate points by spending convenience dollars on their OneCards is being abolished, but not before it is being reopened for students to spend their accumulated points.

In June 2010, The Cord reported that rewards had been suspended for the time being. Never re-opened during this school year, students will now have until Aug. 31 to redeem remaining points.

Docherty visits MRU, discusses microwaves

On a visit Mar. 18 to Mount Royal University in Calgary, where he was recently named the school’s next president, current Laurier senior advisor and professor David Docherty received his Mount Royal email address and toured his new office, MRU’s student newspaper the Reflector reported.

A member of the university’s students’ association was quoted as saying that Docherty was shocked at some issues raised during his time on campus, including the university’s “current microwave shortage.”