New courses available at Laurier starting fall 2016

Faculty of Arts

Intercultural Understanding Option

This new option, under the faculty of arts, is directly associated with the anthropology program. This option consists of four credits, two mandatory credits from anthropology and two elective credits from a wide range of programs, such as global studies, religion, sociology and history. This option focuses on ethnography, multiculturalism and understanding diversity.

Global Studies Concentrations

Within the global studies department, three concentrations have been more clearly developed to make studies within global studies more specific. Now, students can have a more specialized field of study appear on their transcript if they choose to pursue global studies in addition to their major. The three concentrations are, international development studies concentration, globalization and culture concentration and peace and conflict studies concentration. Each concentration consists of three credits.

Political Science

This year, political science is staying up to date with current events by offering a second-year course called Government I: The Polarization of American Politics and a third-year course called The Global Politics of Human Displacement and Refugees. They are also offering a minor in public policy, which consists of three credits, and hopes to bring communication skills and policy together, to prepare students for a competitive labour market.

Political Geography

GG300EA, otherwise known as Political Geography, is a new course brought to the geography department and will be taught by Dr. Alison Mountz, Canada research chair in global mitigation. This course will aim to focus on sovereignty, United States exceptionalism, onshore and offshore operation and power.

North American Studies

North American studies is offering a new second-year course called Decolonizing North America. This course will focus on relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in North America. The course will be taught by George Kennedy, an Aboriginal scholar from First Nations.

Vancouver Film School – Laurier Pathway

This collaborative program between both Laurier and the Vancouver Film School allows students to obtain both a Laurier honours BA in film studies and a certificate from the Vancouver Film School in film production, writing and acting in four years.

Writing for Career and Community Minor

This new minor, which falls under the English and film studies department, aims to enhance the communication skills necessary in most work places.

New Upper Level French Courses

Two third-year French courses are being launched in the languages and literature department this year. Now students can enrol in Francophone Myths, Legends and Voodoo or Graphic Novels and Animation.

Geography and Environmental Studies Programs

Two new multi-disciplinary programs are being introduced this year by the biology, chemistry and geography and environmental studies departments. These programs are called applied water science and environmental science.

Lazaridis School of Business and Economics

Economics

This year, the economics department is offering one new course. EC310A: Special Topics in Writing, is being taught by Dr. Jordana Garbati of the Writing Centre. This course is only available to economics students and will focus on writing for the field of economics.

Business

ENTR100: Introduction to Business Principles for Entrepreneurs is a new first-year course designed for non-business students. On the other end of the spectrum, BU493: Financial Markets and Securities Trading, is a new fourth-year business course students can sign up for.

Faculty of Music

Bachelor of Music in Community Music

This year, the faculty of music is launching a whole new program called bachelor of music in community music. With an incoming class of 35 students, this new program also brings with it four new classes: Community Music Skills, Community Music Ensemble, Class Voice and Class Drumming.    

Music Therapy

Introduction to Music Therapy is not a new first-year course, but this is the first year that the course will be open to students outside of the faculty of music. Also, a new third-year course in music therapy will be introduced this year. The course is called Music, Culture and Community and will be taught by Dr. Colin Lee.

Beckett School

While the Beckett School is not for credit, it is still an awesome new offering that the faculty of music has new this year. Located at 190 Lester Street, the Beckett School offers private instrumental instruction to everyone, regardless of program, age, etc. For students who played an instrument in high school, but are not pursuing music in post-secondary, this option is a great way to continue on with that hobby.

Faculty of Science

Mathematics

Three new courses coming to the mathematics department this year are Mathematical Statistics, Regression Analysis and Monte Carlo Methods.

Biology

This year, there are four new fourth-year courses added to the biology department. The courses are called Conservative Biology, Fish Physiological Adaptations, Honours Thesis in Environmental Science and Directed Study in Environmental Science. Conservative Biology discusses the mitigation of human impact and how global biodiversity is maintained. Fish Physiological Adaptations is about, you guessed it, adaptation in fish, while studying aquatic habitats. The new Honours Thesis course is a year-long, full-credit course that focuses on individual research.

Physics and Computer Science

The department of physics and computer science will also see three new upper-year courses this year: Android Programming, Data Mining and Enterprise Computing and Physical Computing: Digital Interfacing in an Analog World. Android Programming will focus on how to write programs for the Android mobile device. Data Mining and Enterprise Computing is being offered as the faculty realizes that data mining is becoming a very important field within computer science. Physical Computing will discuss the “Internet of Things” which is becoming a growing topic of conversation in the workplace.