Sticks and Scones is a new local treat

Photo by Safina Husein

Sticks & Scones, a trendy and modern bakery, has recently opened its doors in the heart of the university area, located at 62 Balsam Street, behind Wilfrid Laurier University’s Lazaridis Hall. 

The local bakery, which has now been open for approximately two months, offers customers fresh coffee and baked goods as well as a specialty catering service. 

The store front allows walk-in customers to choose from an assortment of cupcakes, scones and other treats in a welcoming environment geared largely towards students, professors, faculty as well as other individuals within the Laurier community. 

Although the location is on the smaller side, the store provides enough space for students looking for a quiet spot to study.

“We have lots of space, free WiFi, it’s a great place to come study and we’ve got all the coffee in the world,” said Alex Wurtele, owner of Sticks & Scones.

“I think myself being young, I definitely have sort of a step up in being able to know what students are going to want.” 

The location, Wurtele explained, is ideal for the Laurier community as there are few other bakeries or places that offer fresh baked goods within the campus’ vicinity. 

“All of the trendy cafe’s are more in uptown, which isn’t far. But it’s still a bit of a trek; especially for students who don’t have cars,” Wurtele said.

Since the bakery’s doors first opened, Wurtele said business has been steady. 

With many students gone for the summer, the bakery’s daily traffic has decreased a small amount; however, Wurtele noted that their custom orders have been increasing, balancing out the amount of business.

“We try to source as many of our ingredients as possible from local places. We use local food suppliers for our produce … all of our art in-house is from local artists.”

“I’m sure in September things will pick back up again,” she said.

The bakery’s catering service offers a wide variety of custom goods, including specialty cookies and cakes. 

Further adding a local touch, Sticks & Scones continuously strives to support local food suppliers and uses many local ingredients when preparing daily baked goods.

For example, the bakery sources their bread from Elora Bread Trading Company, while their coffee is brought in from a company located in Baden. 

“We try to source as many of our ingredients as possible from local places. We use local food suppliers for our produce … all of our art in-house is from local artists,” Wurtele said.

As much as possible, we try to promote [local].”