Narcissism is a real issue

For the last two years, life has taught me a valuable lesson about narcissists. Within the last year alone, I have dealt with enough self-righteous speech and dramatic antics from these people to make Donald Trump look like a kid having a temper-tantrum (although I believe he has already shown that).

People who are narcissistic crave to be the centre of attention and to make sure everyone knows who they are. Deep down, it’s a self-esteem issue and an overall need to make themselves feel better.

They take themselves way too far in their path for self-lust and feelings of adequacy that they transform their objectives from feeling better into feeling superior to others.

My roommate dated a girl last year – let’s call her Janice. She was nice and sweet at first, like most narcissists are. But when they started dating, an evil demon emerged that turned my friend into her puppet and brought my roommate to their knees to be sure they were available to her whim.

Every time she came over to our house, she would suck the energy out of all of us to feed her excessive need for compliments and attention with no empathy to how we were feeling or doing. As far as she was concerned, she was the number one priority and had to be the centre of everything, like an expensive art piece.

Opposed to an expensive art piece, narcissists are nothing but garbage looking to suck all the force out of others for themselves.

Their journey to feel better turns them into the supervillains that they all believe that they are fighting against. They think that they are the heroes and they should be treated as such.

They couldn’t be further from the truth.

No matter how the narcissistic personality is formed, whether it be the way one was raised, genetics, social media popularity, or not getting enough love as a child, the whole idea that one needs to push others to the point of breaking to feel better about themselves is childish.

I have compared the actions of children and narcissists I have encountered and the similarity is staggering.

I watched Janice, who is a few years older than I am, act like a complete child when faced with criticism. She is not a child, but her narcissism pushes it so far that she looks like one.

Wouldn’t that be rather embarrassing? To have the mental capabilities of a child because the urge to feel better than everyone else has completely corrupted your psyche?

The main idea here is that narcissists believe that they all have these needs and everyone must help them meet those needs. To quote my favourite comedian George Carlin, I say this to all narcissists out there: “Drop some of your needs! Life is a zero sum game.”

And he’s right.

No matter how hard it is to accept, we are all going to die someday and being extremely selfish is, in my opinion, pointless.

If a narcissist will not give you the common courtesy of being human, do not give them the satisfaction of being the centre of attention.