Men’s hockey team back in the win column

The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men’s hockey team dominated the Brock Badgers in the third period, and rookie Kain Allicock scored his first ever goal for Laurier to pace the purple and gold to a tough 3-2 victory Saturday evening at the Waterloo Recreational Complex.

Former Moose Jaw Warrior and Brandon Wheat King netminder Kurt Jory was brilliant in net for the visiting Badgers, making 40 saves on 43 shots including numerous from point-blank range. On two occasions the Brandon, Manitoba-native stoned Hawks shooters on clear breakaways and kept his team close whilst they got out-shot by Laurier 18-1 in the third period.

Brock opened the scoring at the 15:58 mark of the first period after Laurier showed the after-effects of the previous nights shelling at the hands of the Western Mustangs. The Golden Hawks were slow, sluggish, and lethargic in their attack for almost two full periods until veteran forward Ryan Bellows fired a wrist-shot over Jory’s right shoulder at 19:21 of the second.

The third was all Laurier as Jory was called upon to make save after save, preventing the Hawks from pulling away. It looked as though he was unbeatable until the 11-minute mark when rookie Alexander Poulter scored on a wraparound from a bad angle. The tally was Poulter’s third of the year.

Another freshman, former Sudbury Wolves power forward big Kain Allicock doubled Laurier’s lead a mere 15 seconds later, potting in on another wrap-around.

Dan Dooley cut Laurier’s lead to one on Brock’s only shot of the period, but that is as close as they got as the Golden Hawks continued the pressure, cruising to the 3-2 victory.

Laurier embarks now on the road for three before returning home November 11th for a battle with cross-town rivals the University of Waterloo.