Thinking critically about concerns within the modeling industry

Cara Delevingne, one of the most recognizable supermodels in the world, seems to have everything. However, the young superstar has revealed that life was not always so glamourous.

In the modeling world, I have often heard of anorexia and pressure to lose weight as the causes of leaving this industry. Now, what I admire about Delevingne is that she brought much attention to much more than just the pressure to be thin. Specifically, she talks about her battle with depression.

I think one of the many things that comes to mind when discussing the topic of modeling is the thought that models are a portion of physically attractive people who are selling a fantasy or image.

However, underneath the glitz and glamour of the beauty being advertised, many fail to remember the other problems of modeling and how they can lead to internal issues.

In a 2015 interview with writer and actor Rupert Everett, Cara Delevingne explained how, in today’s culture, being reminded of one’s success and beauty seems like the true key to happiness, but based off her experience with depression, this was not the case. As the truth began to unfold, she claimed the modeling industry was certainly not fun.

I am a firm believer that hard work leads to success, but there are times when I think  that some things are just not worth the money.

After watching Delevingne’s interviews and listening to her story, what caught my attention was the topic of abuse, something I never thought that much about in the world of modeling. The young 23-year-old claimed that she was a witness to many perverse photographers misusing young models and taking advantage of them, which is truly disgusting.

I think it’s absolutely amazing that someone from the modeling world has brought mental illness into the light, along with many other courageous models. Delevingne was exposed to psoriasis, a long-lasting autoimmune disease with visual scars, leading her to constantly mask her external conditions with medicine.

She claimed this prevented her from personally healing her deep internal wounds.

Cara Delevingne has shed light on the notion of having everything from the outside eye, but underneath, she was desperately crying out for help. This may cause others to rethink their negative perceptions of models and the stress they deal with on the job. Depression does not discriminate – whether you’re one of the biggest models in the world or an average student at Laurier, your mental health is yours. It shouldn’t be overlooked because of your supposed privilege.

During her discussion with Rupert Everett, she continued to express how she felt so alone in her battle. “I really wanted someone to stop me, to go ‘You need to take a break, you need to look after yourself.’ And no one did,” she said.

I am a firm believer that hard work leads to success, but there are times when I think that some things are just not worth the money. “No” can be the hardest word to say when meeting big employers.

When Delevingne felt alone, Kate Moss, a former model, stepped in and encouraged her to take time for herself and her mental health.

This kind act was just what she needed. It helped her discover her passions for writing and yoga, eventually releasing her sorrow and helping rebuild her mental state.

I’m sure there is a long history of models speaking out against abuse, but I think what makes Cara Delevingne unique is that, despite having an enormous amount of wealth and beauty, she constantly reminds the public she is just like you and me through her actions.

I think it’s ground-breaking that Delevingne is speaking about mental illness and reminding us that we are not alone.

Talking about mental health is the first step which I feel will inspire other models and people outside that profession to realize there is help when you need it.