Lessons learned beyond the classroom are important

Graphic by Simran Dhaliwal

Recently, I’ve had many discussions with one of my roommates about what we have actually learned in university.

Aside from economics, accounting and calculus, I have learned many lessons that I never would have learned in high school.

First off, university is a great, humbling experience because I realized I’m not as smart as I think I am.

In high school, I would walk around with a sense of superiority because I had high grades.

I would think it was funny when somebody struggled with math or if people registered in applied classes rather than academic.

Now, I’m in a program that only admits people like me.

I have no reason to be smug about my intelligence because there are 1000 people that are just as smart as I am — or even  smarter.

Humility is something that is vital to learn in life because arrogance is an unattractive quality.

It’s better to learn how to be humble now rather than in the future when changing one’s behaviour is more complicated because they are so steadfast in their ways.

Becoming humbled by university was important because it helped me realize that it takes more than just intellect to do well in life.

Throughout high school, I never read a textbook for a class or worked past 10 p.m.

I have no reason to be smug about   my intelligence because there are 1000 people that are just as smart as I am — or even smarter.

Those days were much simpler.

I would just go to class, listen to what the teacher was saying, do minimally study and managed to do well on the tests.

If I maintained that strategy in university, I would not have made it past first semester.

When you go to your first class in university, it immediately becomes apparent that the professor is just there to brush over the immense amount of material that the course covers.

It is up to the student to actually read the material and ensure they understand it.

University is very effective at promoting the benefits of hard work and a strong work ethic.

If you go to class, make notes and study, you’re rewarded with a 90.

If you just go to class and take notes, you’re punished by being kicked out.

As much as all-nighters that are fueled with multiple cans of Red Bull suck, these are character building experiences.

When we enter the workplace, we will be that much more prepared when our boss asks us to work late and undertake a specific project.

Tied in with the work ethic that university promotes, time management is strongly emphasized.

Having five classes, extracurricular obligations and the other general frustrations of life eats up a lot of time.

High marks can be achieved in high school by studying for the test you have in third period at lunchtime.

University requires a different level of studiousness where sometimes studying for an exam starts weeks before the exam itself.

I’d love to be able to go to Phil’s every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Pub every Thursday and Chainsaw every Tuesday, but the demands of a course load prevent me from doing so.

A very important aspect of time management is learning how to say “no” to tempting activities.

While I think that the business-related topics I have learned are integral to a successful career in business, humility, hard work and time management are all facets that can enable one to pursue a successful life.

By being grilled now, we are being trained on how to handle adversity and struggle when we encounter them in the future.