UPDATED: Lazaridis Students’ Society president acclamation fails

Photo by Serena Gill
Photo by Serena Gill

The Lazaridis Students’ Society will have to look to an alternative process for a president after 50.17 per cent of voters voted “no” to Simon MacLeod, the remaining presidential candidate, being acclaimed to the position.

The results for the Lazaridis Students’ Society president were announced Friday night shortly before 9 p.m. Simon MacLeod, the remaining presidential candidate after Jerin Baby was disqualified for violating campaigning policies during the campaigning and election period. 

There was a total of 590 voters with 296 voters choosing ‘no.’

As a result, the alternative elections process has been implemented. As outlined by Vanessa Buttinger, Lazaridis Students’ Society current president, in an earlier statement, the Lazaridis Students’ Society advisory board will be designing a new process to select a viable candidate for the position.

Two hours after the Students’ Union announcement, MacLeod posted a statement on his official candidate facebook page thanking those who took the time to view his platform as well as those who voted. He concluded that he and his team “are working hard to make LazSoc great again.”

“The Lazaridis Students’ Society advisory board will be holding a meeting on Monday to discuss the next steps for selecting a president for the 2016-2017 year. Our goal will be to design an efficient process that will allow us to conclude this year’s election and continue planning and hiring process for the next school year,” said Jonathan Okun, chair* of the Lazaridis Students’ Society advisory board, in an e-mail statement. 

It is not confirmed whether the process will be in election or appointment format.

*This post has been changed from its original version*