Laurier named top Waterloo employer

Wilfrid Laurier University has been named one of Waterloo Area’s Top Employers for the third year in a row.

The annual competition is organized by editors from Canada’s Top 100 Employers and recognizes workplaces led by exceptional leaders both nationally and regionally. 

“We are proud to be recognized for the third year in a row as a Waterloo Area Top Employer,” Pamala Cant, Laurier’s chief resources and equity officer, said in an email statement.

Organizations that are selected for these awards are identified for aspects such as their adaptive policies that reflect current workforce standards, work atmospheres and the value that is placed on their employees.

“Continued commitment to fostering an inclusive community through the creation of Laurier’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Indigeneity Action Plan, which includes recruiting the university’s first associate vice-president: Indigenous initiatives,” is one of the “exceptional employer initiatives” listed in Laurier’s press release. 

“Ongoing commitment to enhancing the employee experience during COVID-19 … Generous vacation, benefits and leave allowances … Dedicated annual staff professional development and wellness events” are among the other action points cited in the news release.

Laurier’s career opportunities and benefits are listed in detail on their website.

“This recognition highlights the value we place on our employees and highlights our commitment to providing a positive and engaging employee experience,” Cant said.

“Our goal is to ensure that our faculty and staff feel part of our thriving community and appreciated for their many contributions so that they can provide the same positive experience for our students.”