Laurier named top employer for sixth year

Laurier gym
Laurier chosen for Mediacorp Canada’s ‘Canada’s Top 100 Employers” list for employee environment
Photo By: Kash Patel

Wilfrid Laurier University has been named one of Waterloo Area’s top employers for the sixth consecutive year.

“I think this has a positive reflection for the university, as it demonstrates that we invest and care about our employees in the same way that we do about our students,” said Pamela Cant, the Chief Human Resources and Equity Officer at Laurier.

Mediacorp Canada hosts an annual editorial competition between the nation’s best employers.

Despite having slightly higher employee turnover rates than in past years, Cant explained that changes at Laurier with regards to employment expansion and improvement, such as a hybrid work model, have been positive overall for the university.

Organizations selected to be on these lists are judged based on areas of criteria including: the workplace, social atmosphere, health, financial and family benefits, time off, employee communications, performance management, skill development, and community involvement.

“At Laurier we strive to create an engaging and inclusive environment where people can come to work and be their true authentic selves,” said Cant. “[We want them to] feel like they have added value to the university, the students and the work that they do.”

While the award is given out based on region, Laurier was evaluated for it based on the results from all of their campuses.

“That makes a big difference,” said Cant. “If you’re in Toronto, only having to come to Brantford or Waterloo a couple times a week is a lot more accessible than five times a week. It’s broadened the talent base that we can draw from.”

“We’re proud of being recognized in this way; we’re really hoping for the top 100 – that’s something that we’re striving towards,” said Cant.

For more information on employment at Laurier and Canada’s top employers, visit wlu.ca or canadastop100.com.