Laurier mourns the loss of Graham Mitchell, director of communications and issues management

Wilfrid Laurier University announced the passing of Graham Mitchell, director of communications and issues management, on Oct. 12. Graham passed away on Oct. 8 from lung cancer.

“Graham joined the university in June 2020 and quickly became a respected leader, colleague and team member at Laurier. He was regularly sought after for his counsel and mentorship and was well-regarded for his strategic advice, wisdom and calm approach. Graham was admired for his integrity and for advocating for values-based decision-making principles,” Laurier’s press release said.

“Despite only being at Laurier for 16 months and working virtually for all that time, those who worked with Graham felt that he had been a part of the Laurier community for years. He was a strong mentor to his team, continually supporting their professional development and encouraging their best work.”

Before joining Laurier, Graham worked for nearly 20 years in municipal and provincial government, as well as non-profit management.

Graham is described as having been “a passionate advocate for gender justice, social justice, and environmental justice.”

Graham was surrounded by the love from his family, friends and current and former colleagues from across the country during his brief illness. He leaves behind two sons, Milo and Emmett, and his partner, Deanna Yerichuk, an assistant professor with Laurier’s Faculty of Music.

“Graham’s charm, wit, generosity, humility and humour were clear to everyone.”

Information about Graham’s funeral can be found on the Henry Walser website.