Laurier issues student engagement survey after receiving Laurier Research Ethics Board Approval

Graphic by Kash Patel

Wilfrid Laurier University has issued the National Survey on Student Engagement (NSSE) Pulse 2020 survey to current undergraduate students and has received the Laurier Research Ethics Board approval.

Several Canadian universities are participating in the survey, which is comprised of 15 questions and takes three minutes to finish. 

Students are encouraged to complete the survey through their MyLearningSpace account. The deadline to participate in the NSSE has been extended to Nov. 23. 

“The National Survey for Student Engagement (NSSE) pulse survey is one of the tools that Wilfrid Laurier University is using to gather important feedback from students about their academic and student experience during the COVID-19 pandemic,” Graham Mitchell, director of  communications and issues management at Laurier, said in an email statement. 

According to the Laurier press release about the survey, “NSSE Pulse will collect information about the quality of interactions, supportive campus environment, sense of belonging, the pandemic, and general satisfaction with the university experience, as well as the background and demographic status of student respondents.” 

“Its goal is to identify aspects of the undergraduate student experience during the fall semester worthy of attention and discussion during these difficult times,” the press release said. 

All of the responses from the survey will be kept confidential, and Laurier “uses the results from the survey to identify areas where institutional improvement can be made.”

“The insight gathered will be used to inform the ongoing work to improve academic programs and student services in this challenging time. Laurier encourages students to participate as a way to anonymously share their views,” Mitchell said.