Laurier in brief: October 31, 2012

Laurier sees first cohort of EMTM program graduate
Last Friday, Oct. 26 Laurier’s convocation ceremonies saw the first cohort of the Executive Masters in Technology Management (EMTM) graduate with their Masters of Science degrees in Management. The program, which can be completed on a part-time basis over an eleven-month period, is designed for people who work in leadership positions regarding technological innovation. The classes are held on alternating weekends at the Waterloo campus, and divided over the eleven months into three separate semesters, so that students can continue to work in their fields. Some of the graduates already hold jobs with companies such as Research in Motion and Desire2Learn.

WLU researcher wins prestigious award
Sonja Brubacher, a postdoctoral researcher at Laurier studying psychology, has been awarded the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship worth $70,000. She was selected from a group of candidates that spanned the entire globe. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship gives out 70 of these awards each year. Brubacher, who studies cognitive and motivational differences between children, will use the award to further her work, which focuses on when children are used as witnesses in criminal cases.

Laurier celebrates fall convocation
Last week Laurier’s convocation saw roughly 1,205 students walk across the stage and graduate. Approximately 415 graduate degrees were handed out, 789 undergraduate degrees and 11 diplomas. While many students were celebrating their graduation, Darrell Bricker, CEO for Ipsos Global Public Affairs, and Colm Feore, an award-winning actor who has appeared in Thor, both received honorary degrees. Bricker received an honorary doctor of laws degree, and Colm received an honorary doctor of letters degree.

Damage done to WLU bookstore
This past Saturday night, Wilfrid Laurier University’s bookstore suffered damages to one of its electronic screens located to the right-hand side of its main glass window. As of now, the incident is being investigated by Special Constables, and the bookstore is unsure of the exact amount of damage that was done. After the damage was done, physical resources was asked to board-off the damage. Now, instead of a broken screen, all that can be seen is a wooden board covering up the hole. “We’re not even sure how extensive the damage is, we haven’t had a chance to take a look,” explained Mike Zybala, the associate director of retail services and systems for the bookstore. “We’re waiting for Special Constables Services to finish their investigation, and then we’ll … see what the damage is.”
Zybala also mentioned that the bookstore is not aware of the cost of the damages. As of now, the bookstore is hoping that only the plexiglass was damaged, and not the materials under it.
The Cord asked Special Constables for a comment regarding the incident, but was told that only Chris Hancocks could speak to it. Hancocks, however, could not be reached.
–Compiled by Elizabeth DiCesare

(Photo by Justin Smirlies)