Laurier in brief: October 24, 2012

Laurier student jailed for child pornography
Daniel Wright, a Laurier student, was sentenced to one year in prison followed by three years of probation Tuesday morning after confessing in a Kitchener court to charges regarding possession of child pornography. Local police found the content, which was found in the form of over 400 videos, after they utilized a computer program that searched for suspected child porn online. They then found websites sharing videos as well. Wright also confessed to viewing child porn since the age of 11, and stated that by the time of his arrest, it had become more of a daily habit. He was also found to be struggling with depression.

Laurier improves in Globe and Mail report
In this year’s Globe and Mail Canadian University Report, Laurier was able to improve its rankings in eight different categories, while also placing in the top three in its size group, being a medium sized school, in thirteen different categories across the nation. Laurier was also able to secure a first-place tie in the Class Size category. The eight categories where Laurier saw improvement included, but were not limited to: Career Preparation, Course Registration, Libraries and Quality of Teaching and Learning. These awards are based off of surveys that include 31,000 undergraduate students across Canada, and grouped based on a given school’s population.

–Compiled by Elizabeth DiCesare