Laurier in brief

LaurierInBriefDonating food for fines
The Laurier Library is currently running its Food for Fines program. Until Dec. 16, students from both the Waterloo and Kitchener campus can reduce library fines they have incurred by donating non-perishable, non-expired food items.

This year, each food item donated is worth $3 with a maximum of a $15 reduction. This supports the Laurier Student Food Bank, which is run by students and part of the Food Bank of Waterloo Region.

Former prof passes away
The flags on Laurier’s Waterloo campus have been lowered to half-mast to honour the memory of James Harkin, who passed away on Nov. 20. Harkin taught in Laurier’s history department from 1969 to 1994. He died at the age of 82.

Friends and family are being invited to gather at the Erb & Good funeral home on Sunday from 2 p.m until 3 p.m., as well as to a memorial service at 3 p.m. Harkin was predeceased by his wife, Susan. They met while he was pursuing his graduate degree after which he went on to study history in France and received his PhD.

Laurier researcher award Polanyi Prize
The 2013 John Charles Polanyi Prize was recently awarded to Laurier researcher Diane Gregory. She was recognized for her investigation into lower back pain, in particular focusing on intervertebral discs as a source of low back pain.

Gregory is an assistant professor in the department of kinesiology and physical education, and health sciences. Her research has delved into how to prevent lower back injury and pain. The award is valued at $20,000.