Lady Bird flutters across the big screen

I cried, I laughed and I wanted to watch it 10 more times afterwards — those feelings could only be attained in their entirety by watching Greta Gerwig’s film, Lady Bird. 

Before going to Princess Cinemas on Monday night, I had already heard great things about the indie film, and director Greta Gerwig. However, I still wanted to go in with an open-mind and experience it completely for myself.

As an avid movie watcher, I am often times disappointed with the critical acclaim that reviewers give to movies. Once I have seen them for myself, I am left wondering why there was so much excitement surrounding the opening of the film. But, Gerwig’s Lady Bird truly did have the heart, depth, and insight that so many viewers claimed it to possess.

The film centers around the teenage years of Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson, who experiences the tribulations that many adolescents go through to figure out who they are while struggling through high school and going off to university.

Lady Bird, as a comedy and drama, does not fail to create a perfect combination between the two. As a viewer, I was immersed in the life of Lady Bird and her family, whole-heartedly feeling their joy, pain, failures and successes. Each character works flawlessly alongside each other, exemplifying the complexities of relationships, the humour in the simple moments and how each experience shaped their lives.

Saoirse Rohan, as titular character, effortlessly plays the role of the struggling teen Lady Bird, moving from an angst-driven adolescent at one moment to an enlightened young woman the next. Alongside Laurie Metcalf, her sarcastic hardworking mother in the film, both actresses deliver gorgeous and, at times, heartbreaking performances that denote what truly connects a mother and daughter together.

After finishing the movie, I was left wanting to give a one-woman standing ovation to the cinematic magic, which could only have been attained through the spectacular collaboration between Saoirse Rohan, her co-stars and director Grete Gerwig.

Gerwig dazzles with this debut film, establishing herself as a dynamic new voice in the world of film-making. She brings new life to the “coming-of-age” genre and derives meaning from her own life, which resonates through the raw emotion and development of her characters.

“I want you to be the best version of yourself that you can be,” said Laurier Metcalf, as Marion McPherson, in the film.

Through the performances of Rohan and Metcalf, Gerwig creates a journey for Lady Bird that ends in her understanding the value of home and what it means to appreciate the people that care about you for who you are.

It was a stand-out film that will definitely be worth keeping an eye out for during the upcoming Academy Awards.