KW native stars in American Idiot

Kitchener-Waterloo native Scott Campbell developed theatrical aspirations at a young age.

“It just came from an involvement at an early age in music and that translated into an enjoyment of the stage,” Campbell said in an interview with The Cord.

“I did some intensives when all those summer theatre programs were around, back in the day when there was still funding for them. After that I just got bit by the acting bug and decided I’d pursue acting as a career,” he continued.

Campbell then perused a post secondary education at Sheridan College in Oakville, earning honours upon graduation, immediately finding work and representation in the industry.

Since, Campbell has travelled the Caribbean performing for Disney Cruise Lines, playing none other than the iconic Prince Charming.

Recently, Campbell got his feet wet in film and television as well, doing a show on the USA Network called White Collar.

Campbell performed in Jersey Boys on Broadway, and is now touring the nation performing in the presentation of Broadways hit musical, Green Day’s American Idiot.

In the interview, Campbell spoke of the musical and what those attending can expect to see, saying, “If you’re just going to see it the once, you can expect to be blown away, overwhelmed really. There is so much going on. It’s a dazzling show with a powerful story.”

“I think it’s as much fun to watch as it is to put on,” continued Campbell of what he described as a “technical behemoth of a show.”

“I bought Dookie and Nimrod at an early age and those are some of my favourite albums, so when American Idiot came out I hopped on board, I’d been singing the songs for a long time,” said Campbell.

Campbell plays the character of Tunny, the best friend of Jonny, the “Jesus of Suburbia,” and the protagonist of the story.

The play sees Tunny being seduced into the military and the drama that ensues from that decision.

As a young actor, Campbell claims to draw inspiration from “powerhouse actors.”

“I was always a huge Christopher Reeves fan, Superman was my number one favourite character. As I grew to be able to foster an appreciation for more actors I got into Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Pacino and Johnny Depp…early Johnny Depp,” the actor explained.

Campbell has found what he believes to be “success,” in the industry, explaining, “If you feel happy with what you do everyday at a job, you should feel successful. For me right now it’s earning a paycheck and doing what I love. It doesn’t feel like I’m going to work, just playing around.”

Green Day’s American Idiot will run from December 28 to January 15 at the Toronto Centre for the Arts.