KW in Brief: Sept. 16, 2009

UW opens media lab

The University of Waterloo opened its Critical Media Lab in Kitchener on Sept. 15. The lab, located at 195 King St. West, will host research projects by UW faculty and visiting artist and researcher Ron Broglio.

Development approved

City councillors on Sept. 14 approved the development of a three and a half storey building at the corner of Park St. and Allen St. West. The building, to be developed by Rom Dam Developments, will be used for residential purposes.

RIM treats employees to U2 concert in Toronto

Tonight Research In Motion employees will get to watch U2 live in concert at the Rogers Centre.

The company has followed their tradition of treating their employees to a rock concert, which in previous years included Van Halen and Aerosmith.

Pilot project launched to promote tree planting

The Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests (LEAF) launched thier pilot poject in Waterloo on Sept. 12 to provide rebates to homeowners when buying trees and shrubberies from local nursaries.

The project is funded by the Ontario Power Authority’s Conservation Fund.

Brockovich inspires women in Kitchener

On Sept. 10, Erin Brockovich spoke at Waterloo Region Small Business Centre’s Inspiring Women conference.

Brockovich inspired the 2000 movie entitled after her for having aided in closing one of the largest settlements in U.S. history against Pacific Gas and Electric Company for the exposing innocent people to the toxin Chromium 6.

Terry Fox run a success

On Sunday Sept. 13, 389 people came out to run, walk and bike in Kitchener-Waterloo to support the Terry Fox foundation. The event raised $31,568.