KW in Brief: March 3, 2010

Man stabbed in buttocks

Overnight on Feb. 26, a man was stabbed in the buttocks on Charles Street near Highway 8. While he was taken to the hospital, a second man with minor injuries refused treatment.

It was confirmed that the 38-year-old male assailant who lives with the two victims was arrested and charged with assault with a weapon and possession of a controlled substance.

Starving for the environment

As of March 3, Dante Ryel, a Waterloo advocate for the environment, will be living on a diet of just water to pressure MPs to vote for the Climate Change Accountability Act.

The Act, otherwise known as Bill C-311, commits the country to greenhouse gas targets. Ryel encourages citizens to contact their local MPs to support the bill.

Ryel will maintain his fast until the bill is passed.

Thieves stab car owner

On Feb. 28, a 25-year-old man chased down two men rummaging through his vehicle outside his Marshall Street home. The victim was punched before the thieves ran away.

The victim, accompanied by his friends, then chased the assailants and tried to detain them. The thieves retaliated by stabbing the victim with a screwdriver.

The two assailants, ages 19 and 20, were arrested by police and charged.

UW receives research funding

On Feb. 26, Leanne Pendergast, MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga, announced that the Ontario Research Fund will be giving the University of Waterloo (UW) over $20 million.

The funding will support six different projects at the university.

Convenience store heist

On Feb. 28, a man wearing a dark hooded sweater and mittens attempted to rob a convenience store at Westmount Road East and Ottawa Street South.

The thief passed a note to the store employee demanding cash and stated that he had a knife. He then tried to go behind the counter but was blocked by the employee. He then fled the store empty-handed.

Arrest made in GRT attack

Waterloo Regional Police arrested an 18-year-old Kitchener man for assaulting and robbing a GRT bus driver on Feb. 21.

The man had taken a book of GRT transfer passes.

He has been charged with uttering threats, mischief and robbery.