KW in brief: Feb. 15, 2012

Doctor suspected of over-prescribing

A Waterloo pain specialist is under investigation for over-prescribing narcotics, and, according to the Record, is reluctantly resigning from the practice of medicine.

The Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons accepted Dr. Frank Loy’s resignation Monday. In return, the college withdrew allegations of professional misconduct.

A hearing into the allegations had been scheduled to start Tuesday in Toronto. However, the allegations were withdrawn before the college’s discipline committee Monday. Last April, the college barred Loy from prescribing narcotics or controlled drugs at his pain management clinic on Westmount Road in Waterloo. The college alleged Loy failed to maintain the standard of practice of the profession and/or was incompetent in the care of 15 patients.

Police identify dead mother and child

Police have identified the two people found dead inside a Kitchener home Monday evening as a mother and her young child.

According to the Record, Joanna Nowakowska, 38, and her daughter Bianca Nowakowska, four, were pronounced dead inside their townhome at 79 Mooregate Crescent on Monday evening.

Waterloo Regional Police said on Tuesday that investigators are not seeking any suspects at this time and do not believe there are any public safety issues.
They have also said the woman and the child were the only people inside the home at the time of their deaths. An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday, and police have not yet released any information about cause of death. A day later, a small memorial comprised of a candle and a pair of red roses had been placed at the base of a tree on the townhouse’s front lawn.
–Compiled by Amanda Steiner