Ivan Joseph named Laurier’s new vice president: student affairs

Photo by Darien Funk

Wilfrid Laurier University announced on Aug. 13 that Ivan Joseph has been appointed as the new vice-president: student affairs and will begin a five-year term starting Oct. 1.

Joseph will succeed David McMurray who retired from the same role on June 30.

McMurray had a career at Laurier that spanned 23-years and was promoted to vice-president: student affairs in 2010. Maureen Mancuso, Laurier’s former interim provost and vice-president: academic, has been serving as interim vice-president: student affairs since McMurray’s retirement.

Having filled previous roles that focused on leadership and facilitated student engagement opportunities, Joseph joins Laurier after serving as vice-provost, student affairs at Dalhousie University.

“Laurier is widely known for providing an outstanding experience for our students. Key parts of our success have come from a consistent focus on excellence in student affairs and a dedication to developing the whole student, ”Laurier’s president and vice-chancellor Deborah MacLatchy said in an email statement.

“Dr. Joseph will build on this foundation by bringing his exceptional skills as a university leader, coach, mentor, and community builder to the role of vice-president: student affairs.”

According to Laurier’s press release, Joseph “spearheaded strategic policy and prioritization development, program development, expansion of equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) supports, and community engagement related to the student experience.”

Joseph was the director of athletics at Ryerson University for ten years before working at Dalhousie, where he “achieved record levels of student engagement, academic partnerships, student-athletes and coaching achievements.”

As well as working in higher education, Joseph has produced TEDx Talks with over 18 million views and has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Coach of the Year (2010, 2013) by Ontario University Athletics and the African Canadian Achievement Award for excellence in Sport (2014).

“This is a leadership role that directly impacts the academic successes and lives of our students on a daily basis,” MacLatchy said.

“Dr. Joseph will be responsible for a number of key priorities that I know are of high importance to our students, including developing multi-campus initiatives that enhance student learning and development, fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion, and integrating Laurier’s academic supports with the broader co-curricular elements that make the Laurier student experience so exceptional.”

Joseph has a Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education and Health from Graceland University, a master of Science in Higher Education Administration from Drake University and his Ph.D. in Sport Psychology from Capella University and has been a member of multiple organizations, including the Coaching Association of Canada’s Gender-Based Violence Task Force.

“My senior leadership team and I very much look forward to welcoming Dr. Joseph to Laurier in October,” MacLatchy said.