Hawks rout Warriors in Battle of Waterloo

Dillon Campbell
Photo by Will Huang

WATERLOO, Ont. — Dillon Campbell is back in business.

In a game that was dominated on the ground, the fifth-year running back finished with 262 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns, eclipsing 3000 yards and setting the all-time career rushing yard record in Wilfrid Laurier history previously held by Andy Cecchini.

Campbell led the Hawks to a 42-0 blowout victory, ending Laurier three-game losing skid this season.

Campbell now sits at 3069 rushing yards in his career with three games left in the campaign.

Head coach Michael Faulds was happy the Hawks cleaned up their game after playing undisciplined football during their last two outings but feels there’s still room for improvement. The Hawks were called on nine penalties for 96-yards.

“Obviously it got a little chippy in the fourth, that we have to clean up a little more but I told the guys, ‘You know, enjoy this for the next 20 minutes and then we’re moving on to Ottawa,'” he said.

“We can’t get too excited. Since we’re playing next Friday at home it’s a shorter week.”

In insane weather conditions with strong winds and rain, the Hawks played the first quarter against the wind, forcing them to make use of their ground game to build momentum early. Campbell made quick work of the Warrior defence, rushing for 143 yards in the first quarter alone.

The Warrior offence also struggled to get things going, and fumbled the ball twice, leading to a Tanner Philp touchdown to give the Hawks a commanding 23-0 lead come halftime.

The Hawks didn’t let up, forcing the Warriors to play on their heels and taking the game in dominating fashion.

Eric Morelli filled in quarterback duties after Fracas was taken out early in the first quarter due to an ongoing knee injury. The second-year pivot went 6-for-17 and one touchdown and an interception while his counterpart Lucas McConnell 7-for-32 for 76 yards and an interception.

Despite breaking the record, Campbell remains focused on the games ahead.

“The record’s nice, the win was a lot better, but we still got a lot of work to do,” he said.

Next, the Hawks, now 2-3 on the season, return home to host the Ottawa Gee-Gee’s Friday night under the lights with major playoff implications. Kickoff is at 7 p.m at University Stadium.