Hawks men’s hockey fall to Varsity Blues

Laurier Men's Hockey player on the ice mid game
Photo by: Emmanuel Opoku

The Laurier men’s hockey team welcomed the University of Toronto to the Waterloo Recreation Complex for an intense and competitive matchup. The Hawks looked to extend their win streak to two games while the Varsity Blues hoped to get back into the win column.

The game got off to an exciting start, with Toronto taking the lead in the seventh minute of the first period. Only a minute later, the momentum of the game shifted as Laurier managed to score a goal, leveling the game at 1-1. Soon after when Laurier received a penalty,  the Blues seized the opportunity to regain their lead, scoring on the man advantage.

As the second period began, the Golden Hawks wasted no time in their pursuit of tying the game. Sam Rhodes received an early pass, breaking the Blues defensive line, while having a fantastic opportunity to score.

Tensions ran high, leading to a brief scrum in front of the Golden Hawks’ net, creating powerplay for Laurier. A shot fired by Laurier’s Thomas Lenart narrowly missed the net with 12 minutes on the clock in the second period. Nick Giunta of the Golden Hawks capitalized on the powerplay to level the game at 2-2 by scoring his second goal of the night.

Just when it seemed like the Golden Hawks were gaining momentum, the Varsity Blues scored again. The Blues then took advantage of another five on three power play advantage. The Golden Hawks worked extremely hard during their penalty kill, going back to full strength unscathed. With only six seconds remaining in the second period, the Golden Hawks managed to equalize the game at 3-3, tapping in the puck off a rebound from the opposing goalie’s pad.

Heading into the third period with a tied game at 3-3, Laurier received a delay of game penalty early on. The Blues capitalized on this chance to take the lead by scoring to make it 4-3. Despite a great effort to stay in the game, the Blues ultimately emerged victorious with a final score of 6-3.

The Golden Hawks are now looking ahead to their next challenge as they hit the road to face the Ottawa Gee Gees this coming Friday, Oct. 20.