Hawks kick off spring camp

(Photo by Kate Turner)
(Photo by Kate Turner)

It’s still early, but Laurier men’s football head coach Michael Faulds already sees positive things coming out of his new team.

Starting spring camp this week, the Hawks made their way out to the snow-covered University Stadium to run drills and scrimmages.

After spending the last two months at RIM Park, the team moved outside to get a different feel.

“It’s going well,” Faulds said on the sidelines while his team ran plays.

“Yesterday we only had until about the 30 [yard line] of actual turf so hopefully the weather will continue to get better.”

Spring camp will run until April 7, ending with the spring game that day at 1 p.m., open to students.

The Hawks will be practicing on the field for four days this week before breaking for Easter. When the players return, Faulds will have them back out on the field for more training and drills.

Faulds mentioned that there are a few complications with the players’ night classes, however he doesn’t mind as the students have been putting more emphasis on their academics.

“It’s been a bit of a challenge in terms of guys coming and going, but everyone’s getting better with every rep they take,” he said.

Despite starting five months before the season even begins, Faulds says the reaction from the team has been nothing but positive.

“The only questions they ask is ‘how to do it,’ not whether they want to do it,” he said.

“In terms of being eager to work hard and really get after it, they’ve been accepting that role quite well.”

Faulds put a major emphasis on the progression of the team. While he knows it’s going to take the Hawks time to become a solid unit, he has confidence that the team will come together.

“Hopefully the weather warms up a bit, but I see us gelling a little more everyday. Yesterday was our first practice and I told the guys ‘that was the first quarter and today we’re going to have to switch gears and be that much better heading in to half time.’”

Training camp for the season typically starts in August.

With the season starting a week earlier than usual, the Hawks will be on the road on Aug. 25 to face the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Yates Cup finalists, the Guelph Gryphons.

This will be Faulds’ debut as both a head coach and a Golden Hawk.

Laurier’s first home game will be against Toronto on Sept. 2.