Hawks continue strong start to season with win over Queen’s Gaels

Photo by Garrison Oosterhof
Hawks take on Ottawa Gee Gee’s at their first game of the season

The Hawks continued their hot start to the season with an emphatic 44-18 win over the Queen’s Gaels on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2018.

Just like last week, the Hawks scored a touchdown on their opening drive through Osayi Iginuan as he would eventually punch it in from six yards out.

Laurier would add a pair of field goals before scoring another touchdown, this time through the air as quarterback Tristian Arndt found Brentyn Hall with a perfectly placed pass from just inside the red zone.

Although the Gaels responded with a touchdown of their own, the Hawks would go into halftime leading by a score of 23-7 after tacking on a field goal.

In the second half, the Hawks showed their superiority by exploding for some huge plays on offense.

At the seven-minute mark in the third quarter, reigning OUA MVP Kurleigh Gittens Jr. would catch a 34-yard bomb from Arndt for his first touchdown of the season.

The Hawks continued to pile on the misery after that as rookie Ente Eguavoen caught the first touchdown of his career, making a tough sideline catch from 23 yards out.

Laurier didn’t look back from there and went on to win by a comfortable margin to say the least.

Tristan Arndt finished the game with 313 passing yards and three touchdowns, while six different Laurier running backs rushed for more than 250 yards combined.

The Hawks have put on an offensive showcase so far this season and Arndt has shown that he can lead this passing attack to be just as good as it was under Michael Knevel.

The defence has some key pieces as well and although it hasn’t cost the Hawks too much so far, it will be interesting to see how the purple and gold improve on that side of the ball.

Up next, the Hawks will take on their cross town rivals, the University of Waterloo Warriors, in the ‘Battle of Waterloo’ on Sept. 15, 2018 as they look to continue their perfect start to the season. Kick-off is set for 1:00 p.m. at University Stadium.